Time to start stockpiling if you can

If you can, now is the time to start putting up things in the freezer or the pantry to save the frustration of not being able to obtain this or that in the last few days before Christmas (that is unless you have already started and nearly finished it).

I am specifically thinking frozen puff pastry or even fresh and then freeze it yourself, little pots of different pate (I am thinking M & S here) and of course other seasonal bits and bobs.  Frozen veggies, frozen gateau or fresh and freeze yourself.  Make your own uncooked mince pies, and tart cases and freeze then just shove into the oven from frozen to cook when needed. Sausage rolls the same little fruit pies,  Anything that will save you time and also a massive shopping trolley trying to push it through the hoards.  If you can it will be less stressful then the last few days can just be for the top ups.

Also stockpiling on things like cheddar, butter, lard if you use it margarine, cake decorating supplies and cake /baking ingredients.  Sausage meat whatever you use for your staples for Christmas cooking is worth getting put up and out the way with and then you can concentrate on the fancier items.  Always watch the long stop date and you should be more than okay.

I was looking at some Brandy cream in the fridge at M & S today wondering why it was on sale now.  The sell by date is second week into 2019.  There were lots of items like that.  I am assuming the Brandy (being pure spirit) pickles the cream!

Things like fish I buy or prepare myself usually the week before Christmas.

When I start shopping in September I always start with the long stop date items like sweets and drinks.  Things like crisps I normally leave until November.  

I think overall most of the work in stocking the pantry up actually happens in the months before Christmas - well it does here in any event.  That is why I make so much on the preserves front.

And if you have not already made them the Christmas Pudding and Cake are traditionally made on "Stir up Sunday) being the first Sunday in Advent - which is tomorrow.   

Catch you later.  

Pattypan 


xxx

Comments

Popular Posts