Today

After all the effort of yesterday going through boxes I managed to oversleep this morning quite considerably.  Which in turn has dictated the progress of the rest of the day.

I had arrangements to meet a friend for lunch and instead of our couple of hours it sort of ended up being out for four hours in each other's company.  Me leading her astray if you can believe it!

Whilst out I noted that the Clementines and the fresh Cranberries are out in force in M & S and Waitrose.  £2 a tub for the Cranberries in time for Thanksgiving next week.  So I will be picking some of these up in due course to freeze for Christmas dinner, and also make some cranberry and apple chutney, and cranberry jelly as I use this all year round.  The recipe I use is on this link here.   


There are a couple of other links within this post as well as I have over the years written extensively re Cranberries.

I did not get back from my outing until 5:00pm, walking and singing Christmas carols to myself on the way home making sure to pack up my caterwauling when anyone else came into sight or hearing.  I enjoyed myself anyway and it made the walking time disappear quickly.  Although I suspect anyone coming across me in full flow might think that there was something adrift.  Me I have known this for ages I just celebrate it.

OH was home on time tonight.  I was not in the mood for cooking again so I set too and did a quick meal of home made chips, fried eggs and home made onion rings. Why am I making my own onion rings when you can buy them from the supermarkets frozen.  Because I have been very disappointed with the last couple of bags I have bought of these.  In fact I was deeply unimpressed.

A messy job when I am involved in anything with batter.  However I had never made them before and so decided to have a bash for myself.  I took a couple of ounces of strong bread flour (it was the nearest to hand), a little milk and an egg.  To the flour I added the egg and mixed it in with a fork, and then added enough milk to make it the consistency of thick cream.

I then set too and cut "thickish" onion slices from one large onion so that the onion ring remained whole, then dipped them in flour and then into the batter then into nice hot fat.  I must say that I have been pleasantly surprised at how tasty and how light the batter was.  Despite being messy I shall be making these again.  There was more than enough for the two of us.  OH liked them as well.

Our tea this evening


So another good "padder-outer" to go along with home made sausage and herb stuffing, Yorkshire Pudding and roasted veggies.  Anything that pads the meal out and makes the most of a smaller piece of meat and gives it a lot more flavour is always worth doing in my book.

 Right hopefully catch you all tomorrow.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts