A little Celtic Harp Christmas Music








This is Christmas music in a different format and it is lovely.

I think my natural inclination when it comes to music is to the classics.  Perhaps that is as a result of my father introducing me to classical music from a very early age. These were not just some of the standard classics but more unknown pieces as well.  He had a taste for the eclectic and he seems to have passed that on to me as well.  I just have a particular love of the more obscure instruments and pieces of music. He used to record on his Ferrograph reel to reel tape recorder (a chunky piece of equipment) the classical music from the BBC radio shows.  This included monastic music as well some of that is really beautiful and powerful.  I suppose the only real music I am not too struck on is Jazz and then perversely there odd pieces that I do like.

I love the harp, the harpsichord, flute, classical guitar, recorder...  Folk music of any kind.  The sound of the hurdey-gurdey (which I remember from my childhood but which you don't often hear these days), organ music, music boxes...

Gentler more soothing than some of today's offerings.  This compilation brilliantly played has a music box quality to it - a life of its own. But everything has its place.  Some of the tunes on this little find I have never heard before but I am finding them absorbing.  Its as though the music is reaching out and telling its own story even though I am not aware of its origins because it makes you feel.  Just like ballet reaches out to the watcher and a story unfolds or the Folk song that tugs at the heartstrings. Music for contemplation.  Sometimes long winter nights call for that kind of solitude.  Its also good to reflect on and absorb tradition.  That which we pass by use and custom on to each other and willingly share one generation to another.

This compilation would make good listening music whilst baking, and sipping a glass of wine inbetween everything else that is in preparation for Christmas.  That is usually what goes on whilst I am baking I have a supportive glass of wine usually hot mulled wine or cider.  One of my little indulgences.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do although I do understand that some of you it will irritate to high heaven.  On that thought

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. We bought our eldest daughter a Celtic harp for her Christmas present a couple of years ago - she had always wanted to learn to play it. This reminds me of her.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts