Ooodles and Oodles to do

I had hoped to play a lot more in the run up to Christmas just gone and as a result of not being able so to do I became a tad disappointed.  I have always been the one to see the potential in any situation - I suppose I am an ideas person and I get very wrapped up in the execution of doing something and creating something. In other words I enjoy it.  It kind of sets the inner me free.

I am looking to "bomb proof" everything for next year. Well real life has a habit of throwing up obstacles and one whether really knows so if the structure and everything is in place it just needs executing and not just necessarily by me.

I am looking at everything  I usually do in any one year whether that be on the cooking, preserving, or on the crafting front.  I also want to extend this even further.  

As well as learning new skills I have all sorts of plans for the new upcoming year I am practically buzzing.  It will call for lots of careful preparation - lots of lists, lots of calendar notes and pit stops. Making the most of the time available to me and not prevaricating quite so much.  

Working alongside the yearly events calendar and working out the most relevant dates will help me work out a working plan of when to do things for best effect and timing for my family.  There is no finer way of resolving things that go wrong as long as you learn from the mistakes or judgment of error then that is all that matters in the longer term.  You put the error right and instead of it being a negative it is now becoming something much more  positive.

One of my realisations is that as I am getting older I need more time to do things - so I am going to try and build in extra time to get things completed more than comfortably, broken down into achievable stages and then they will be out the way with and off the check list.  And then on to the next project.

One thing I have appreciated since being at home is realising and seeing much more of the seasons. Its sometimes about the marking of time things happen at certain times of the year marking and defining how far we are into a year. Taking advantage of the seasonal offerings like, apricots, redcurrants, strawberries, plums, cherries etc. and putting stuff up for the winter pantry in the form of chutneys,bottled/canned fruits, vegetables whether canned or dried.  Buying in the resources and then making something of them yourself is the cheapest way of making something and on a practical level making sure your family is well fed in the winter months.  Certain ingredients if you have them on your pantry shelf bring the taste of summer back into your cuisine like home made passion fruit curd spread with whipped cream on a home made Victoria sponge cake.  Heaven.

However I want to capitalise on this and make as many presents as I can as well.  That will take time and organisation also. It also ties in well with the fact that I have a new basic sewing machine and an embroidery machine to get to grips with.   What better way of getting to know them and learn than by actually doing something and making presents in the longer term.  I have lots of ideas as usual.  Now I need to put them into practice.

I still have not used my canner.  That is going to be rectified. Anything I can buy from the veg shop and that can be usefully put up will be.  I also want to get the dehydrating machines into use as well. I have a cheapie which I bought mainly for jerky however I also have an Excalibur.  However getting the machines into use that might take a while on electrical usage being built in but it will be worth it in the longer run.  I want to try and eradicate a lot of waste and I also intend to get my own compost heap up and running as well.

There is also the meat and Charcuterie element to investigate and explore as well.  I did a little last year and want to do more this.  I also want to make Gravlax again for Christmas 2019.  Now that was a success.

I have a list of plants and seeds that I would like to bring to the garden with an eye to being used in decorations later on in the year. So everything will have a place and purpose it is going to be sorting out very much the placing and pecking order as I go along.

So as I say Oodles and Oodles to do now I just have to get down to the nitty gritty and get it all planned out.  Some is already down on paper but there is loads more to do yet.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. You must be my cosmic twin. I too have plans for 2019 to do more homemade, canning, dehydrating, planning a more productive garden etc. and in general not wasting time but utilizing it for the good of me and my family. Good luck to you...it will be fun and inspiring to read about your progress next year. Here's wishing you a Happy, Productive, Healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa, aiming for the sky as usual but I have thought of a way to make it easier on myself and to get into a routine with doing things. So a little and often will be the order of the day I think. I do tend to overthink things and then procrastinate with getting on with them so am applying a little self-psychology and just going to get on rather than overthink. Hope you have a happy New Year too. I am glad to know that I am not the only one interested in keeping the wolf from the door. Take care. Tricia xx

      Delete
  2. I need a lie down after reading all that!! One step at a time and you’ll get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catriona. Sorry to give you a headache it will come out in segments but there is an overall plan in place. I agree totally with the one step at a time position and am aiming to get into more of a routine with everything so that I can potentially achieve more overall. Hope you have a lovely New Year kind regards Tricia xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts