Roasted Chestnuts on an open fire



In the words of the song!





Well not quite!  I do not have the open fire although I do crave one.  Would be in seventh heaven if I did have such a resource here.  However that does not stop me having my seasonal fix of roasted Chestnuts something which I have to have. I just adore them.



I think I have recounted before that my father first introduced me to roasted chestnuts hot off a brazier in the middle of Peterborough.  Each little white bag held a good scoop of Chestnuts and between the three of us (Mum did not like them) we soon polished them off.  I have been hooked ever since.  Sadly you do not see the Chestnut sellers like you used to although they were a regular feature as I was growing up through my childhood.

I bought a proper cast iron Chestnut pan quite a few years ago. It was expensive and is a bit battered these days.  However I do have my holy barbecue pans in which to cook my Chestnuts.  Alternatively you can use a small frying pan.  All you do is with a sharp knife is to put a slit in the tip of each Chestnut and pop them into the brazier pan and cook for about 15 minutes.  Then when they have cooled a little peel and eat them.  I even have a proper Chestnut pan for roasting small quantities on a proper open fire.

It is not the only thing I do with Chestnuts.  I regularly make a Chestnut and Chocolate Slice (which you keep in the freezer and just slice off the amount you need or serve up the whole pudding on a plate and serve from table).  It is a Ruth Mott recipe and it is absolutely delicious.

I did a very detailed post on this previously and the link is here : Chestnut recipes.

And in the words of another song:

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.




Catch you later on.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts