Routines and Playtime

I need to get into a constructive routine with the things that I do,  and hopefully that will give a semblance of order to what goes on in the house and also free me up for some much needed playtime with the crafting.  For the past two days I have been on an impasse with everything.  I know I need to play but I also need to work.  So I need to structure this especially with my article earlier on and OH being here next week.  I need to maximise my time.  Practicality requires the housework done, the rebel in me wants to play with the crafting.  I just have not been able to settle.  

Today however although not crafting per se I have watched a couple of tutorials on patchwork table runners and also a log cabin Christmas quilt made from jelly rolls.  The tutorials I watched came over as pretty simple to do.  Why then am I over-analysing things and making them more difficult than they are.  I need to jump in and have a go.  Never mind how long it takes I need to play and find my parameters.  I think I am stalling myself before I have even started.  Over-thinking things as usual.

So that is what I am going to do.  

Thank you Trudie for your useful suggestion that I have a crafting day and structure everything around that.  In light of the fact that I want to play and create my own Christmas gifts for people this year I think this is what I am going to have to do as otherwise I am going to end up doing nothing which is not what I want.  

Practically speaking because of my social arrangements I am thinking that this would have to be either a Monday or a Tuesday/Wednesday.  I think Wednesday is looking more promising at the moment.  Then I might be happier with myself and what is going on around me.   If OH then goes back to fishing later in the year I might get extra time when he is not around on top of this which would be a bonus.

I am also thinking that first thing of a morning when I am firing on all pistons that I should prepare dinner, fridge it and then all I have to do is put it on. 
I frequently forget what the time is and end up either being too late or get disturbed from what I am doing which also causes issues.  So I think I am going to have to fine-tune my whole schedule to take account of the things I want to do and to achieve rather than hoping for time here and there and then setting myself up to fail. After going to the effort of meal planning as well I do not want to sabotage myself from the off.  So I shall be tweaking the routine to fit everything in.  Aday to play though that would be absolute bliss.

Right had better get a wriggle on my bed is calling.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Over-analyzing things - yup, it does sound like you may be guilty of that - and perhaps then you tell yourself you CAN'T do them and believe it?! Before you get stuck into housework (and I will advise that it will always be there later, sadly it doesn't do itself!!), sort out your evening meal and then take two pieces of material which have straight edges and sew them together. There - that wasn't difficult was it? Decide you are going to cut out 4 biggish squares. Sew two together, then another two. Press seams flat. Lay them right sides together and stick a pin in where the central seams are, making sure that they line up. If you like pin the two squares before you sew, and then simply sew together. Press seams. Depending on how big the squares are, you have a cushion front (or nearly)! That should have taken about ten minutes and the housework hasn't gone away in the meantime!! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guilty as charged BB! I think I have just the project lurking in the box in the bedroom that would help. About 10 packs of charm squares that I had bought to make a quilt a while back. Already pre-cut and straightforward to put together. Am thinking 9 patch combinations here and a little at a time although I suspect it might be hard to tear me away from it once I start. Thank you for being there Tricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good idea for getting lunch ready first thing in the morning, especially when I'm feeling more in control of my day - think I may pinch that idea, if I may Patty.
    Pinching an idea from the Bluebirds are Nesting blog - you could consider your sewing day as a 'working' day, you're going to be making gifts for Christmas and Birthdays and by making them, you're going to be saving a whole load of money, throughout the year and at Christmas - if you stop and think how much cash you're saving by making those gifts - then its not just a sewing day, its a saving money day too.
    Considering it that way, will give more importance to your sewing day each week as it's not just you playing and crafting, its also you having a saving money day.
    Just thought Patty you could make little shopping bags on your sewing days and fill them with your preserves that you've made throughout the year. Wouldn't that be a special gift of 2 parts.
    Hope you've had a good day and Bovey Belle is right with her instructions ☺☺ - just go for it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Trudie, course you can pinch that idea. What I write on here is for sharing with everyone and if it helps that is a bonus. We help each other, that is what ladies mostly do and some gentleman. I like the idea of considering it a working day when I get to play. That would work well both for the embroidery and for the patchwork. Gives focus and a mindset. The bags, Catriona suggested a little while bag, but I had thought of making some wine bottle bags and embroidering them and then popping in a bottle of wine or drink and maybe some mulling spices as well. I know BB is right its about me giving myself permission to play - I know I have to do it. I am home tomorrow although I still have some work to do but I am going to drag some of those patchwork pieces out and play with them. Take care and thank you once again. Tricia xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts