Eco ways

As a follow on from yesterday's post I have since found the following on Pinterest.


It is well worth the reading and a simple guide as to how to be more eco friendly at home.

I surprised myself because I am already doing a few of these things.

I already use cloths that can be washed and re-used.  I have done this ever since I was first married.  I also use a boiling pot for cleaning such cloths on the stove.  I have a couple of pots that were originally intended to do preserves in but they are not quite up to snuff so they make ideal boiling pots.  Basically I put whatever needs cleaning into the pot with hot water and some soap powder and bring to the boil.  I then let it simmer for an hour or so and then tip into the sink and drench with cold water.  The cloths should be clean by this point.  It takes less time on the top of the cooker than in the washing machine so it is cost and time effective.  Plus you know they are clean.

I do the same with floor cloths.  I buy in a thick felted floor cloth and then do the same with them.  When they get too gross they go into the dustbin.

I also use soft cotton cloths for dusting. Quite frequently I dampen these down before dusting and can use several in one session but they are eco friendly and of course washable.

Please note that microfibre cloths are not decomposable and take years to break down.  Sticking to cotton is best I think in the overall plan of things.

I have not and do not use paper napkins.  I have always had cloth ones.  Now I have the sewing and embroidery machine I shall be making a batch up out of an old cotton sheet and then hopefully use the embroidery machine on the same. These will just be for everyday use.

I already have a load of re-usable cloth bags, including small calico bags for things like grapes, plums, bananas etc. rather than plastic bags.

The next stage for me is using glass containers for storing food in the fridge.  I already have a few suitable jars but I will need a few more.  I shall add these a few at a time and make do with what I have around the house to start with.  After all "Rome was not built in a day".

I already buy a lot of stuff in bulk in any event.  I always recycle jars that I can get replacement lids for use in my jam making and chutney making.  I also do the same with small bottles and wine bottles for when I make home made wine.  I particularly recycle the Hex bottles as I have a stash of lids in stock.

There is however also an interesting article on zero waste cleaning.  This I am particularly interested in as despite many of my cleaning methods being old school there is always something to learn.

The article is here:


Quite a useful article.

I already where I can use white vinegar in the laundry both as a fabric conditioner and also it brightens your whites up.  I also use lemon or orange vinegar to deal with harder stains when cleaning the kitchen, particularly greasy areas.

I have a main steam cleaner and also a hand held steamer, which are used and perhaps need to be used a little more often according to this article which suggests that carpets should be steam cleaned once a month to keep dust at bay especially in homes where there is an allergy to dust or pollen.

We only have the one carpet in the front room the rest of the flooring is laminate at the moment. 

There is also of course the option to sew and make your own items such as replacement Swiffer covers, ironing board covers, cleaning cloths etc. and there are several such articles and posts on Pinterest which are extremely helpful.  You are then making your resources go just that little bit further and working for you.

There are also a couple of other articles on this blog.  The one I am particularly interested in is reducing food waste at home.  The link is here:


I think that this is the area in which I need to work harder.  I already do some of the suggested things, but could do better.  Well they say practice makes perfect. 

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. hi Pattypan, thank you for your reminder! I never knew that microfibre cloths did not biograde well. I am looking for options without all the colours ect. Inspired by your post, I remembered I had a giftcard, and I want some glass items for cheese and cut meats fot the fridge, so I will go and buy those today. I sometimes do not know what to do with all the cellophane given with cut meats. Such a waste. Not made any veggie and fruit bags, but am thinking of ways and means to go amiss on the plastic baggies. I am also turning the household around to more natural cleaning stuffs. I hate that chemical smell and its all inhaled. I do not have small kids anymore but I did not realize they breath all that stuff in and so much deeper because their lungcapacity is smaller. Don't get me started on air fresheners! Greetings from Holland. M.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts