Yaay

I have had a fantastic day and I am very pleased to report that I have at long last used my sewing machine. It was a lot easier than I had anticipated, but I have at long last dived in and christened it.  The DVD that came with it was very clear and very self-explanatory.  The instruction book which I could only take with me just as clear. There is going to be no stopping me now.

The beginnings of my quilt.

An over-view of part of the hall.  There was at least the same room and amount of people on the other side of the room as well.



My friend Alison Banerjee, South Cambridgeshire Co-Oridnator for Project Linus had organised a sewing and crochet day in aid of Project Linus and had received a number of cancellations yesterday due to illness and she did not think that many would attend.  In the end we had quite a few lovely ladies joining us all engaged on different projects.  A lot of quilts and blankets were also received in with people popping in during the course of the day.   Here is one of the beautiful quilts.  Alison, who is shown to the right of the picture has said that she will photograph some of the others and let me have them so hopefully at a later date I will be able to update this post.




My friend Alison and one of her creations.




I have never seen so many quilts and blankets together.  There were also donations of wool and fabrics to either knit, crochet or make a patchwork quilt.  

Up until yesterday I had not really known about Project Linus.  I knew Alison was passionate about it, but as from today I shall be fully supporting their cause. Basically the rugs, blankets, quilts are given out to young people who have suffered trauma, illness, accidents, abuse etc. and the idea in effect is to let them know that they are loved and in effect is a "virtual hug".  I believe the age-ranges from tiny babies to 19 year old young adults. 

For further details here is the Project Linus main website 
https://www.projectlinus.org/about/ 

and the link from yesterday again: 
http://projectlinusuk.org.uk/

The website for my local area is 
http://projectlinusuk.org.uk/contact/contact-us/

Alison's contact details are under the Area Co-Ordinator's list.

I have also met a lot of lovely ladies today who could not have been more helpful or lovely if they tried.  Its lovely to be with interesting and like-minded people.

If any of you would like to contribute by way of either materials or a finished item please contact me and I will put you in touch with my friend who will gladly accept the same on behalf of Project Linus.

I have also been taught how to start off with a basic 5 inch block quilt.  This is a cot sized quilt and I have managed to get to grips with the rotary cutter and the sewing  of a basic quilt top which I am highly chuffed about. Apparently, considering the fact that this is the first quilt top I have done it is not too bad.  I am chuffed with it in any event. 




The next stage so I understand is my friend is going to show me how to quilt the same. Now that should be interesting!

If another even it organised, I shall quite happily go along.  I really enjoyed myself, there is so much creativity out there.  Most of all though it is a win-win situation.  Out of creativity is born love, to share with those that need it, it keeps us occupied and doing what we like, (after all there are only so many quilts that you can give away to family members). Those like myself who have never really done patchwork before get to learn in a very skilled environment and everyone is so happy to share what they have to others.

It has been a brilliant day.

Right am off to get my bacon sarnie.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I’ ve been makin pg quilts for years for Project Linus but our organiser is asking that the quilts are backed with fleece and don’t even need batting in the middle, it’s much quicker and less expensive for the makers as well. Enjoy your sandwich and take a rest niw after your lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catriona, it really is a lovely cause. Because I am a beginner I was really slow, but that is probably the best way for me to learn so that I "get my head" around things and hopefully know what I am doing. I must say I am itching to get going. I will try and get my playday this week now I know what I am doing with my machine and have had a lesson with the rotary cutter. Supporting Project Linus is a pretty special cause Catriona and to do it for many years is a real commitment. Just shows how big your heart is. Sandwich was good. Am now having the evening off concentrating on other things for a change. I have a cat who wants to come in as well, but is playing hard to get. He gets very awkward. Catch you soon. Tricia xxx

      Delete
  2. Well done Trish, at last, soon you will be able to embroider the quilt block, before you put them together.

    Enjoy your bacon sarnie..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. The sewing machine was a lot simpler than the top of the range model I used for needlework at College when I was 17. I think that is why I put it off. In effect the newer machine is far easier to use. Am going to get into gear with it and hope to do the label eventually. I know you love your patchwork in any event but I am very chuffed to have managed to do what I have today. Still a lot to learn, but it has certainly given me a boost today. Hope you are more comfy and that the pair of you are behaving yourselves. Take care love to you both. Tricia xx

      Delete
  3. WELL DONE!!! I said it wasn't too difficult didn't I? Lovely accurate piecing - you will go on in leaps and bounds now, especially as your new sewing machine seems to have been straightforward to use. It sounds like you had a REALLY good day out and Project Linus is a great one to support. I hope you can find a crafting group locally to join - I have so much fun at mine, and it's lovely to have the inspiration and friendliness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi BB. Thank you. I have really enjoyed today and it has given me a little boost confidence wise. I am hoping to get my playday this Tuesday and intend to do some patchwork. I have some precut squares to stitch - simple to start with but hope to get a bit done even if it is in tranches. Anything is better than nothing. Hope you and Keith are behaving yourselves. How is your quilting going? Take care love to you both Tricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt looks perfect to me. I cannot make the 4 squares come together as neatly as yours! I am quite envious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lefting. I think it was beginner'sluck. There is one mistake I can see in it, but will not do it next time one of the corners is more off point than it should be. My friend told me to place the strips together and feel where the seam is. She said that if the two pieces are in the right place the seam "locks" in and feels flatter. I must admit I took a bit of time with these - probably more so because I was trying to get it right. I used pins below to hold everything together two pins to hold in place and was careful when near them so that did not break needle and just removing pin when near enough on it. I am going to have a go at doing some nine patch squares during the week by assembling a charm pack that I have in two's and then into nine patch squares. So we will see how I get on with the corners then. I might not be so lucky. Take care and hope you are keeping well. xxx

      Delete
  6. It is great to have meetings of crafters together. You can learn from each other, have a chin wag, it's relaxing. I miss my little crochet group now that I have moved country again.
    Btw, that is a fantastic start to your quilt. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia, many years ago I used to belong to a ladies crafting group that was a side group that had evolved out of the local WI group I belonged to. Really used to enjoy that. A lot of my friends craft or sew it seems to be a common language we all understand and we are always encouraging each other. I was not quite sure what to expect yesterday but was pleasantly surprised. I hope you are starting to settle into your new home and starting to get things how you would like them. I love crochet too. It is very forgiving and unlike knitting I always seem to find where I am with it despite the picking up and putting down. Hope you are able to start up a little group in your new area soon. Thank you for the kind words re my first attempt at patchwork. It certainly has been a learning curve. Take care. Tricia xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts