Bitterly cold day

and it has got colder as the day has gone on.  The wind is now really really rough and we have rain.  It was heavy going bringing heavy shopping back in it and I had to keep stopping to put my hands in my pockets as I had forgotten my gloves and I kept losing the circulation in my hands.  Got here in the end though.  


I do not think I will be going walkies with OH and Missy this evening.  Will get the chicken on and the veggies for tea.  That should warm us both up.

I didn't go walkies.  I stayed and cooked tea.  Served roast, stuffed chicken with mixed vegetable leaf mix (a frozen mix from Waitrose which cost £1.11) and which will do us two meals. With the price of food at the moment portion control comes into play quite a bit. The mix consists of the pointed sweetheart cabbage, savoy cabbage and spinach.  It is roughly chopped but it is tasty and helps pad a meal out. Any kind of green is good for you. We also had swede and carrot crush, runner beans and mashed potato with lots of gravy and it was very, very tasty.  Comfort food of the highest order.  

The remnants of the chicken will go into a chicken stew and then a stock from the bones for soup.  Must get the maximum amount of goodness and use what you have to hand to make it go as far as you can. That has helped me get warm.  I have also had the heating on as it is bitterly cold out there.

Tomorrow we have a small rib eye steak each with some, peas, side salad and home cooked sweet potato chips and maybe some home prepared onion rings.  Probably will have chicken stew on Saturday.

It is going to be all systems go from tomorrow.  Got a lot of stuff going on and OH is on holiday Monday to Wednesday next week.  There is no peace for the wicked.  

Have some washing up to do shortly will get that out the way this evening so that the pots are ready again for tomorrow night's tea if so required.  I have a stainless steel curtain pole in the kitchen to hang all my saucepans on/off.  Where it is, is not making the most of the potential space it has.  I have in mind to re-sight it so that I can get more of my pans onto it and out of the way. I have lots of butchers hooks to hang off of it. I am going to have to speak nicely to OH though as I am not very good with a drill.

I intend to get a tray of eggs tomorrow a 30 tray as it is used for baking and also for eating for themselves.  

Potatoes are £12.50 per sack i.e. 56lb 1/2 a cwt.  Will make my mind up on those tomorrow.  I like to have a sack of potatoes in house as when things are tight or expensive like they are at the moment you are assured of a meal of some sort if you have some cheese, eggs, milk, bacon, and onions.  We are not proud here as long as it is a good meal and tasty that is all that matters. On average that lasts us about six to eight weeks.  We do not have potatoes every day either.  I keep them under the stairs in the house where I can get to them and where they can keep relatively cool. My onions are also kept in there as the pantry is a little too warm for fresh veg.  It is more of what is known as a dry larder.

I also need to get my act together on the cooking for the freezer project.  I have a pressure cooker and intend to make my own stewing steak pie mix in it.  Mum used to do this and although my nemesis is making pastry I am determined to try and do something on this front.  I have a couple of electric pie makers a two pie one and a four pie one and I was thinking of making some in these and then freezing them and then cooking them through again in the pie makers (to save on cooking in the oven).  Still an idea at the moment but I think it is feasible.  It would be good to have different options on the pie fronts too. I was thinking apple and other fruit pies as well individual ones.  However I was also considering doing large family pie sizes as well.  See what I can come up with and how it works out price wise.  

Frozen pastry is getting expensive and I was taught how to make puff pastry at school so I think it is going to be a question of re-acquainting myself with the process of making pastry.  One thing I do know is that this year I shall be raiding the wild larder as much as I can and squirrelling it away in the form of jams, bottling (hedgepick pudding mix), liqueurs and jellies and also pectin (from any crab apples).  I know I do anyway but I think I will be going out more than I usually do armed with my shopping trolley on the hunt for all things wild!

Right washing up here we come.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I had never heard of an electric pie maker, so I googled it! Interesting, I may have to have one now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lefting. I first came across the electric pie maker when the children were at home. It proved very useful in using up bits and bobs left over from meals and then put into a shortcrust pie base and top both sweet and meat. They came out in a two edition version and then a four pie version. I have both. The two for when OH and I are on our own and the four extra for when we have company. They are well worth the money in my view as it saves on putting the main oven on. You can do all sorts of flavour combinations. Hope you are keeping well. Take care. Tricia x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts