Five minute break

I am sat down for five minutes having a coffee break.  I have been cleaning most of the day and very slowly I am starting to see that I am clearing a path.  Very slowly though.  I was starting to flag so I thought a coffee break was in order just to sit and rest my back which is starting to twinge just a  little bit.  The coffee has gone down very nicely.

We are having fish for tea tonight. The reduced monk fish for OH which I got for £1.80 and the smoked haddock for £1.70.  So I did not do too badly.  The smoked haddock is a little bigger than the monk fish.  The haddock will be served with a poached egg and some bread and butter and OH will have a full meal with the fish, home made fat chips and also mushy peas and bread and butter.

I also managed to find some reduced lemons when I nipped to the Co-op to get some bin liners as I had run out.  One or two will be used for pancakes tonight but the rest will go into lemon chutney - this making use of the ingredients I already have in whereas if I were to do some lemon curd I would have to go and buy butter. 

I bought the lemons at 45p per net of four lemons x 4 which is 16 lemons.  Lemons are averaging 45p each or more at the moment.  Granted these are a little smaller but a bargain is a bargain.  So at the moment if I am finding bargains rather than buying any ingredients in and adding to make the most of them, I am using what is in stock.  Naturally there is going to come a point when I will need to re-stock on these but that will come in time as I tend to stock pile on these items in one fair swoop i.e. sugar, vinegars, pectin.  

It is therefore well worth looking out for the bargains as fruit can be turned into jams or chutneys, or frozen. Lemon cordial and syrup can also be made. I am particularly honing in on the reductions as it saves a lot of money and a little bit put up here and there saves an awful lot at the end of the day and gives you something to go at out of the pantry.

Right coffee break over.  Time to return to the job in hand  - the kitchen and it always takes me longer to clean this room out!

Catch you soon.

Pattypan
x


Comments

  1. Oh Pattypan, if you visit me I would give you lemons from my tree. I love lemons too and admire that you will make lemon chutney. Delicious sounding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terra, I am green with envy. Must be so precious to pick your own. I hadn't come across a lemon chutney until I went to a craft fair a few years ago now. There was one stall selling a variety of preserves and very high standard they were too. The lemon chutney was one of the offerings and it was suggested that it was a good accompaniment for fish dishes and chicken. There was also a mint and apple pickle, which try as I might I have not been able to find the recipe for but it was delicious. I am trying to do some different bits in this quieter part of the year but with reduced items so that it does not cost me so much. I like to have lemons in as you can do so much with them and they smell lovely. I shall probably make some lemon sugar as well with the zest for use on pancakes and in baking. Hope you are keeping well. Take care Pattypanxx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts