Its a pity I don't own a Guinea Pig

Many years ago I had a beautiful second hand Guinea Pig called Bubbles.  She was ginger and white and when she came running across the floor to us which she did squeaking her delight as she came she used to look like Mrs Tiggy Winkle wearing a straw bonnet with a bow underneath.  She was rosetted and wonderful.  We lost her in her sleep one really cold winter and I have never forgotten her.  To make matters worse the same day as we found her we asked mum what we were having for tea that night and she turned round and said "Bubble and Squeak".  Both my brother and I burst out into tears as we couldn't bear the thought of eating our lovely little friend.  We have never forgotten that.

The reason I am stating that its a pity that I don't own a Guinea Pig is that for the past two hours I have been shredding old bills and bits and bobs that are no longer current and way over due the shredding.  The shredded paper would have made very good litter for a pet.  It is now in the recycling bin.

I am getting stuck in, in the back bedroom.  Going is slow and the reason I have dealt with the two big bags of paperwork is that I had nowhere to put it and it was in the way of me getting onto the next section of the bedroom and the stash of stuff that I have there.  So just best to ditch it.  I have kept relevant stuff.  No doubt there will be more to deal with as I go along, but at least that is another item "tackled".  

I have found lots of wool and I mean a lot.  As it is expensive and as some of it is for part-finished projects and belongs to my UFO pile none of it is going out.  I shall try and store it all together though so that I can find things easily.

There is lots of other stuff and so I suspect I shall be missing for some while.  I need to generally sort it and stack it as I have some more stuff to get in. Then and only then will I invite my friend over to help me catalogue and sort out those items that I do not want and those I very much want to keep.   Too much but it is as I said going to be a very big sort out.  Lots of lovely stuff some of it inherited so space has to be found for it somewhere.  Too many memories of people no longer with us which I am not ready to let go of yet.

Earlier on when OH came home from work we had a steak and onion sarnie each and it went down a treat.

Right back to the coal face.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

P.S. The recycling bin is now full of old jeans (originally for a clippie rug project) but will be able to build up supplies again once I am more organised so for now - also full of lots of shredded paper.  Full to the gunnels.  The recycling bin will be emptied on Wednesday.

Comments

  1. You are hard at work with your sorting and organizing. I did a lot of that over the last year and still have more to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terra, its a long overdue job that needed doing but I never got to it. Feels quite cathartic. Hope you are okay Tricia x

      Delete
  2. Well done you. I too spent the morning decluttering the back bedroom. I havent got to shredding the unwanted stuff from the filing cabinet yet! We had two gerbils called Bubble and Squeak when the girls were very small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela, it has taken a good 2 1/2 hours to shred this lot with the shredder cooling down numerous times inbetween. Whilst not working been sorting more to shred. It is just the start have an awful long way to go but at least am in the room! hope you are keeping well take care Tricia x

      Delete
  3. I too have shredded lots of old paperwork recently-must be the time of year for sorting out the house. I was interested to hear that you had put both the shredded paper and the jeans into your recycling bin. Our local authority doesn’t accept shredded paper in the bin, and any textiles have to be put in the textile uocycler at the local amenity centre. This gets sold on to a textile upcycler so I guess it saves them sorting it out. The bin collectors look into each bin befor it’s emptied and if there is anything forbidden in it, the bin is tagged and you have to clear out the offending items. I spent ages during this not great weather prepping all the things I wanted to keep for upcycling and then shrinking them into a vacuum bag. I do this with yarn too and it comes to no harm but takes up far less space. Glad to hear you are making progress with your sorting. I just need to find my sewing mojo and I’ll be happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catriona, I think a lot of the Council waste departments decide what they will and will not take. As long as it is recycleable they will take both. Will not take polystyrene or glass. Indeed bin was emptied today no problems. Have some more to put in later on though. Take care Tricia xx

      Delete
  4. I've been putting off shredding for quite a while. If I wouldn't put it off so long then it wouldn't end up taking so long to do, but I always procrastinate anyway.

    You brought back memories of the sweet guinea pigs my husband and I had when we were newlyweds - 44 years ago. We bought the prettiest young long haired guinea pig. Petunia had long pale blond fur. We had her for a while. She was so sweet, and would squeak with joy when we came home from work. One day she wasn't squeaking for us and we immediately went to check on her. Lo and behold there she was, happy and healthy, with her new little baby in the cage with her. We had no idea she was pregnant. The baby looked just like her, and was another little female that we named Daisy. They were such cute, sweet pets.


    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts