Old vases

I love flowers in the house in particular but cannot always afford to have these.  However when I do they certainly brighten up the house and my mood. I like flower arranging although I do not class myself particularly good at it.

It is something my Nan used to do is always have pot plants thriving even in the middle of winter. Nan had "green fingers" in any event. She had a small lean too conservatory between the bathroom wall and the kitchen wall that enclosed the space and her pantry was also off this room. It was not posh but it was fitted out with shelves and she always had plants growing there.  This little area also served as a drying area when the weather was bad.  A boon in those days as the Lincolnshire weather used to be a lot tougher than it was.  It also served like a mud room as boots used to be taken off at the door with the boot heel the boots cleaned down and then stored inside the conservatory.  What I remember most though is that they had a little weather man and lady on the wall. One came out if it was dry and one came out when it was wet.  I was fascinated with that as a child.  Sadly that broke later on but I always remember it.

I also remember the smell of Sunday dinner cooking.  The smell greeted you as you came into the conservatory, and was warm and welcoming like my Nan.  That was when she both had the Rayburn and the electric cooker.  I particularly remember the smell of newly cooked large baps which she always made and which we had for tea with potted beef.  Funny how things stay in your mind.

Anyway I digress. Nan had a big cutting garden and she also arranged the flowers at St Clements Church, the Church where I and my brother and my Dad and Uncle were choir boys.  Because of her love of flowers she always had flowers in the house not bought but lovingly hand grown.  I remember Chrysanthemums of different colours, Dahlias yet again with lots of colours, large Ox-Eye Daisies, Iris amongst a host of other flowers. On another note this is something that I would like to create i.e. a proper cutting garden for myself at some point.

As an off-shoot of this Nan managed to amass a large collection of 1930's style vases.  Sadly when my Mum and Dad cleared her home with Uncle and Aunt a lot of stuff (that I would have quite liked) was sent to the charity shop.  In fairness though I have been picking the odd one up here and there from Charity shops as I have gone along. I have also bought and collected newer ones however my favourites are the older ones. One of my favourite's though is one that belonged to my Nan.  It is a turquoise colour with flecks of a goldy beige in it. I absolutely adore it.

The reason I am mentioning the vases is that my friend who is teaching me the patchwork also collects these.  She has a far finer collection than mine but it is still a common interest.  I would like to add a few more one day - not yet as I am running out of room.  Space is at a premium at the moment.
  
I also inherited a set of three vases which are a yellow colour that were bought as a present for my mother.  I think it was bought in the late sixties but am not sure.  I have a memory of going with Dad to go and buy it so I think it was a present he bought from my brother and I for her.

I have a particular interest in items from the 1930's or thereabouts but only particular items not everyone.  They have to take my fancy.  I also have two plant stands the type that you would stand an aspidistra on if you know what I mean.  Which also reminded me of the Gracie Field's song "The greatest aspidistra in the world".


Why am I prattling on about vases, well as I have previously stated I am hoping to get the fireside cupboard sorted out this week and tidied up.  It occurred to me that I was not making the most of the space in there.  A lot of my vases are at present stored on top of one of the dressers in the dining room.  I have several Rumptopfs which would appreciate the space better on the top of the dresser so I thought that I would put the vases out of the way and out of the way of curious cats.  The Rumptopfs can be put into use and then stored back on top of the dresser to mature.  I use the Rumptopfs for proper Rumptopf, Batchelor's Brandy, making Mincemeat as the pots are an ideal size in which to cure the fruits in the spirit and also to ferment the mincemeat.  I have a couple of stone bread crocks which could also be used for the same purpose however mine are storing flour at present.

So as usual with me one thing leads into another.  All things are connected a the end of the day and one interest tends to lead to another.

I would have shown photos of some of the vases however I have put my phone down in the house and thus far have not been able to locate it.  Ditsy alert!  Will pop some up once the camera has been located.  
Catch you soon.  

Pattypan xxx

Comments

Popular Posts