Candied Ginger Recipe




I have made candied ginger and ginger in syrup before and use it in my baking for Christmas more than anything else.  When I first started making this there were no explicit instructions available, and I came up with pressure cooking the ginger, then letting it stand in cold water and then sugaring and completing the process. However I have gone on and progressed what I do in similar terms to the above video.  I came across this video by chance which is nice and simple and seems to contain everything that you need to do.  

I know a lot of readers actually like making things for themselves.  When choosing your ginger go for young sweet ginger that is smooth and not wrinkled as it gives a better preserve at the end of the day.  The wrinkled ginger goes woodier and spoils the preserve.  However you could dry this and then use it in winemaking.  This is a very good visual tutorial.  The easiest way to peel ginger is with the aid of a teaspoon.

An ideal preserve for your pantry shelf either to be included in your baking or given away as part of a Christmas hamper.  I use this type of ginger and stem ginger in syrup in stir fries baking and fruit salads as well as to eat as a sweetmeat especially at Christmas. I also put crystallised ginger into a stir fry if I do not have it in syrup. I also use it in my home made mincemeat.

I include the link here for the above video and comes courtesy of Cuoredicoccolato.





You will need

500g fresh ginger peeled - 400g peeled weight
water
1 teaspoon of salt

After initial cooking weigh the ginger and add an equal amount of sugar as to what the ginger weighs i.e. if you have 400g of ginger add 400g of sugar plus 1 extra tablespoon.
1/2 a glass of water.

As I have said it is a visual tutorial together with the ingredients on screen which I have added above for ease.

I hope you have a go and enjoy it.  Let me know how you get on.

Pattypan

xx




Comments

Popular Posts