Autumn Slipping in

Good morning.  We were up at 6:00am as Oh is on earlies this week.  He went to walk Missy and whilst he was doing that I was eager to get a batch of washing onto the line.  It smells lovely and fresh once dried but after using the tumble drier for so long OH is complaining that his shirts feel crispier than usual.  Oh well the laundry smells lovely when finished.  Cannot win them all I suppose.

Whilst pegging out the washing I heard in the distance an ambulance with its siren going to get to hospital with some poor soul on board lets hope they are one of the lucky ones.  Love being sent.

The air is starting to get that really damp feel about it; already we have the spiders webs and yet officially we are not into September yet.  I know it is not long but this year is carrying on as it has done thus far and very quickly.  Autumn is slipping in hardly announcing itself.  The haws and rosehips have only just turned red.  The green berries are on the holly but they have not turned yet.

Whilst in the garden watering up last night I found a few apples off one of our Ballerina trees on the ground.  What my grandparents used to call the apple drop where so much of the fruit thins itself out before the main harvest.  There are not many apples on the trees but any are a bonus.  I would love to have a proper orchard just like my grandparents had.  There was a rhythm to life with what they grew and to what they did at certain times of the year which became very ingrained in me. I miss our family home the one we all gravitated to from all over.  My Grandparents certainly kept their brood together but both of them were extremely well loved.  My Grandfather was called "Horace".  He was "Horace Junior" named after his father (he hated his name) and my Grandmother was "Florence May".  Collectively they were referred to by friends and "Ebb and Flo". Unfortunately "home" has been raped and pillaged by the new owner with two new homes being built on the land; the deep and high hawthorn and Copper Beech hedges, Bramleys and Espaliered pears all having been removed for financial gain and it has thoroughly spoiled it.  I still have my memories though. I am very much a country child and long to get back to my roots.  

Bringing the apples in has made me feel that maybe I would like to go and collect some apples from an Orchard again. Its a need a thought that I am going to check out.

The apples I bought in we have not tried to eat yet but they are in the house.  The apples on the tree are not yet ready to harvest they need a little longer.  They are not twisting off which was the way my Pop (my Granddad) taught me to check them for picking.

In respect of the yen to go apple picking,  I decided to check out the Tinternet and have found that you can go and pick your own apples at Sandringham.  I may mention this to my friends as I think it is something that they would enjoy. They are both foodies and there are some events coming up that I think they will be very interested in including our menfolk. Might be nice to take an autumn picnic as well.  There are lots of lovely eateries but I have a fancy for a picnic as well.  Sandringham is a good 2 hours away from us and it is a place I have been to many times over the years from being a tiny child.  There is a link here to the events at Sandringham over the next few months if any of you are interested. Sandringham Events.

Cornwall is my place of choice but Norfolk is a hot second.  Have spent many happy times down there and also in Suffolk at Southwold.

I am off out with my friend later on.  We are going to Stamford again.  So many more interesting unique shops to go look at.  Eye candy for the soul.  there is no need to buy anything but it is a really good to lift the spirits.

On 27th to 28th September 2019 the Peterborough Antiques Festival is back.  I went for the first time earlier this year and my friend and I have a date for another fair.  I think we are going to both days this time round as we did not get around half of it last year.  If you do decide to go make sure that you have very comfortable clothing and footwear.  There is a lot of ground to cover and lots of stalls to see.  More details here for those of you wishing to visit Peterborough Antiques Festival.

I have been drinking a milky coffee whilst writing this post.  In real life I am waiting for the washing machine to finish its cycle so that I can get another load on and then peg out the freshly washed items.  I have another 20 minutes or so to wait until I can do so.

Missy has crawled into my spot in the bed; has her head on the pillow and is flat out but warm.  She has to be warm just like me. She is a very cosseted pet but a very wonderful one.

Catch you later on.

Pattypan

x


Comments

Popular Posts