Belvoir Orange Pudding

I have decided that I am going to make this tomorrow with our Sunday lunch.  We are having pork steaks with all the trimmings for a change so a pudding will finish it off nicely.


I have been up to the veg shop and got my oranges.  I have everything else inhouse.


You will need:


2 eggs separated
Grated rind and juice of two oranges
4oz butter
7ozs of caster sugar
4oz fresh white breadcrumbs
Scant 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
2 Cox's Orange Pippin apples (a dessert apple rather than a cooker but as I only have Bramleys that is what I am going to use).

Method

Butter a 750ml/1 1/2 pint basin.  

In a separate basin, cream the butter and 4oz sugar, add the yolks and beat well.  Add the breadcrumbs, the orange rind and juice.  Mix lightly and then add the baking powder.  Spoon into the greased basin and cover with pleated greaseproof paper and a pudding cloth (I will use foil) and steam for 40 minutes.

Heat the oven to 220 degrees C/425 degrees F/Gas Mark 7.  

Prepare the base.  

Peel, core and dice the apples.  Whisk the egg whites until stiff.  Fold in nearly all of the remaining sugar and then the diced apples. Spread on a glass ovenproof plate and dust with the remaining sugar.  Set the meringue in a hot oven.  Do this about 10 minutes before the pudding is ready. 

Turn the orange breadcrumb pudding after steaming out of its bowl into the middle of the soft meringue and serve.  A spoonful or two of orange juice from a can is a good and easy sauce for this fresh light pudding which really does call for butter.

I cannot wait to try this again to confirm that it is indeed the recipe my Aunt made for me as a little girl which I very much think it is.

Hopefully I will be able to borrow OH's camera to take some pictures.  Sadly my phone still has not turned up.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts