Items I am considering buying and some of what I do with them






What Items did I choose to buy to start replenishing my pantry, why I chose them and what I do with them. Everything has to earn its place on my pantry shelf.  We cannot always eat like King’s and Queen’s every night and you have to have some of what I call “scratch meals” especially during a week night and especially if you are working on the basis that “time is of the essence” and at a premium.  Therefore, having items in the pantry or in the fridges or freezers that let you prepare something to eat quickly and cheaply is a necessity and a bonus where time is concerned as it lets you eat reasonably but also lets you make up on time.



Heinz Soups various
I will definitely be going for the 6 cans for £2.99 price tag.  Why?  If your office has a microwave to warm up food at lunch, this makes a very quick meal without spending the earth especially in the winter months.  They make a good standby for a quick meal at home if you are on the run.  They can be used within your own crockpot meals like Oxtail within a beef casserole or tomato soup with beef; or to give more flavour within your own homemade soups.  I do make a lot of homemade soup as well.

Batchelors condensed soup (Tomato, Cream of Chicken, Cream of Mushroom)
I have in the past used the chicken and mushroom soups as a base for chicken pieces which have then been mixed with cooked chicken pieces and added to vol-au-vent cases for parties.

Heinz Big Soup (various flavours)
I keep this in for OH to have in case I am not around but he also takes it with him when he goes on one of his fishing jaunts.

Chickpeas
I use these in Falafal and in Couscous.  I also make my own hummus and add these to soup.  Here are some more different ideas for using chick peas https://greatist.com/eat/creative-chickpea-recipes#Cookies-and-Cookie-Dough

Batchelors Mushy Peas
 I prefer the Harry Ramsden’s version but they did not have any of these.  We like mushy peas with any kind of fish and bearing in mind that the housekeeping is set up on the basis that I work too as well and time is of a premium I opt to buy these out of convenience.  However I do every so often set too from scratch with dried peas which I keep in the pantry in any event. When you get down to it you can do quite a lot with tinned goods.

Branston Baked Beans
We were always Heinz beans fans until these came out.  Now we prefer these to Heinz.  I keep a lot of these in as they are handy for beans on toast, with a full English breakfast.  OH frequently has with pork slices or chops as a rounded meal on their own. We also cook them with sausages as a stand alone meal as well.
Heinz Baked Beans are a close second.
D’Italia Chopped Tomatoes with Herbs
Napolina Chopped tomatoes
D’Italia Peeled Plum Tomatoes
D’Italia Passata
I use a lot of tomatoes in different formats included the ones listed below in Lasagna, full English Breakfast, soups, casseroles, stews etc.

John West Red Wild Pacific Salmon
Princes Wild Pacific Pink Salmon
Cucumber Wild Pacific Salmon
Princes Wild Pacific Medium Red Salmon
Cucumber Red Salmon
I always have tinned Salmon in the house as did my Nan and my Mum before me. If someone calls unexpectedly you have an impromptu sandwich ready in minutes which can be bulked out with a little cake, scones, tinned fruit and cream.  I also use tinned salmon to make Salmon fish cakes which are lovely and a regular on my repertoire.  You can also turn it into a mousse with some cream and other flavourings and a dip with the aid of some cream cheese and yogurt.  Salmon and pasta with a cheese sauce makes a quick supper as well.  Cheese and fish don’t normally work but this does.  There are two different sized tins.  The larger tins are ideal for the fish cake making as the rest can be frozen but also for those unexpected visitors.  I tend to keep both sizes in – the smaller ones for me to have a sarnie here or there as I love Salmon OH not so keen.

Princes Tuna Chunks (in brine, oil and spring water)
I use Tuna in a similar way to Salmon and OH frequently has Tuna to take to work with him.  It is also an emergency cat food if I run out of cat food.

Ye Olde Oak Ham
Princes Ham
OH and I were only reminiscing about this the other day when I found it on the shelve at B & M.  It was always an intrinsic part of my mum and my Nan’s pantries.  It was ideal for a Sunday afternoon tea sarnie but also useful at Christmas.  During a normal working week it would often be utilised frequently on a Monday night (Monday was always wash day in our house) served with some chips and some chutney or mustard or even baked beans. We also used to have the meat cut in slices, dipped in batter and served as fritters.  Another one that is good to have in for unexpected visitors.

Spam – I don’t like this nor does OH but put it on here for those Spam lovers.  My step-son is an avid fan.

Princes Corned Beef
This is a constant that I also keep in.  We quite frequently have this cold with chips, in a sandwich, in a pie, done as fritters.

Ye Olde Oak American large hotdogs
Princes Hot Dogs
Princes Mini Hot Dogs
One of my likes.  Love these in buns with fried onions and tomato ketchup.  OH soon snaffles them up as well.  So it is always useful to have something like this in.

Smash powdered potato
Keep this in for OH for when he goes fishing although do occasionally make it up at home to have with a meal .

Fray Bentos steak and kidney pie
Makes a meal of a week night.  Not to everyone’s taste but we do not mind them.

Pot Noodles
Usually keep a few pots in as OH sometimes likes to take them for pack up.  They are not my cup of tea though.

Sharwoods Noodles
I keep these in as I use them extensively when I make a homemade stir fry as well as adding them to casserole dishes and soups

Tortillas
I keep these in to have filled with various fillings like, mince, pork, chicken, duck with some salad or with a sauce.  Makes a filling lunch.  OH not keen on but they are very useful.

Tilda Long Grain Rice
I keep lots of different rice in.  However, as a brand I do like Tilda and as my stash needs topping up this is a perfect price. I use this in my homemade stir fries and curries.

Uncle Ben’s Sweet and Sour sauce
Sharwoods Sweet and Sour Sauce
Dolmio Bolognese sauces various
Napolina Tomato and Basil Pasta Sauce
D’Italia Pasta Sauce
Colmans packet sauces
I do use bought sauces although I am a little concerned about the sugar content.  I also make my own. Most of mine tend to be the jar varieties rather than the packet version although I do indulge on occasion.  I also re-cycle the jars as the Sharwoods and Uncle Bens jars are the same lid sizes that are sold by Lakeland.  So I recycle the jars where I can.

Coconut Milk
I use this in stir fries, Thai dishes, to drink (both hot and cold), as a base for ice cream,

Knorr Beef Stockpots/Rich Beef/Chicken
I like the stockpot stocks but have found them so pricy across the supermarkets.  I try and buy 8 pots for £2 or thereabouts and stock up whenever there is an offer as I use a lot of these.  Particularly like the chicken and the extra beef.

Sweet Chilli Sauce
Lea & Perrins Worcester Sauce
Guinness Barbecue Sauce
Guinness Steak Sauce
We use a lot of sweet chilli sauce and Lea and Perrins.  The Guinness Barbecue Sauce and Guinness Steak sauce sound intriguing and I thought OH might like these.

Knorr Stock Cubes
I also use these and tend to buy whatever is on offer.

Colmans Mustard
I always keep in a jar of Colmans Mustard, and a tin of dried mustard powder in for ease.  However, I also make my own mustards. Powdered mustard can be turned into mustard sauce/  However I predominantly use it when making Piccalilli or Runner Bean Chutney.  I also use it in cheese sauces.  Lovely with Roast Beef or in sandwiches with cold meats.  Also good with sausages and casseroles.  Good for “devilling” dishes giving them a bit more umpf!


Heinz Tomato Ketchup
Heinz Salad Cream
Hellmans Mayonnaise
OH is a Tomato Ketchup fan so he uses a lot of this.  I like Salad cream and Mayonnaise especially with chips but we also use extensively on salads of any type.  All are used in pack ups as well.  Do also preserve my own Tomato ketchup and make my own Mayonnaise.

KTC Coconut Oil
Filippo Berrio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
I use Coconut Oil on occasion for cooking it is supposed to be better for you in the long run. Virgin Extra Oil I use as a dressing only.

Paxo Sage & Onion Stuffing
I do buy this for ease and convenience usually when it is on offer.  However I do tend to make my own more often or not.

Bisto Best/Beef/Chicken/Pork & Lamb powder
I also use these.  The favourite being the Beef.

Yorkshire Tea Bags
I usually buy a big bag of these and keep them in one of my old Roses sweetie jars which I use as storage containers in the pantry.  OH prefers tea bags I prefer loose tea leaves.


Douwe Egberts Coffee
Maxwell House Latte
Tassimo pods variouis
I use both of these.  The Latte for OH and I have the coffee every so often.  I reuse the jars for storage in the pantry as well.
Hartleys Jellies various flavours
I keep these in to make a quick pudding but I also have a cube of jelly a day to strengthen my nails and keep them in better condition.

McVities Dairy Milk Chocolate Biscuits
Hob Nobs Chocolate Biscuits
Rich Tea Biscuits
Plain Digestives
Plain Hob Nobs
Ginger Nuts
I keep most of these in. The Chocolate biscuits are for having as a treat.  The plain ones I keep in as standard as they can also be turned into biscuit crumb for making your own cheesecakes.

Tat & Lyle Syrups (for coffee) Hazlenut/Salted Caramel/Caramel/Strawberry
These are a treat for me in the winter months with a nice hot mug of coffee.

Coffee Mate Creamer Powder
I use this for just ordinary coffee.  Gives it a richer flavour.

Marvel Dried Milk Powder
I keep this in, in case I run out of milk.  I also use it when I make yogurt.

Cadbury Drinking Chocolate powder
I use this to drink but also for baking.

ALPRO Almond Milk
ALPRO Coconut Milk
We drink this as it is but it can also be used in cooking.

Tate & Lyle Granulated Sugar
Barbados Cane Sugar
Dark Brown Soft Sugar
Demerara Sugar
Light Soft Brown Sugar
I use all of these extensively for baking and cooking.  Very good prices.


Carnation Evaporated Milk
Carnation Condensed Milk
I keep these in for cooking.  The Evap milk with a jelly makes a mousse and I use the condensed milk in sweets and puddings.

Fanta (all variations)
Dr Pepper
Schweppes Lemonade
Coca Cola
I keep some fizzy drinks in house to nab when we fancy them but not as much as we used to.



Quaker Oats – Oats So Simple – Original and Golden Syrup
Ideal for a quick microwave breakfast in the winter months.  I like these because of their ease first thing although have been considering batching up my own bags.


Del Monte Peach Slices
Del Monte Pineapple Slices
Del Monte Fruit Cocktail
Del Monte Pears
Tinned fruit is always useful to have inhouse as you can make puddings, tarts, cobblers, cakes and they make a quick pudding in their own right.

Aunt Bessies Custard Sachet (singly or on offer x 3)
Birds Custard Powder Drum
Birds Custard Powder Drum
Ambrosia Custard
I usually make my own custard from the powder usually keeping in the drum but I do tend to keep in sachets and cartons just in case.

Ambrosia Rice
I keep this in for the OH.





I have yet to decide on what I am going to start with.  I believe it will at this stage be more the tinned stuff as it is a very good price.  There are also long stop dates on these items I checked some going to September 2020 and others to 2021.  You do have to make sure to check every can though as you want the latest long stop date you can get.


That ensures that you get the maximum usage out of whatever you have to hand on the pantry shelf.

I do out of necessity use some convenience foods but I do try and keep these to a minimum as I prefer to cook from scratch but we all know that real life does not always allow for that no matter how hard we try.  So I always plan in items for unexpected situations.  I prefer to buy ingredients but my Tinned Can Pantry is always extremely useful.

Do you keep in tins on the pantry shelf and if so what items do you keep for you and your family.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. I loved reading this list! Some of the items listed are familiar but many are not. I am going to google them to see what the US comparable products are. I was doing a lot of pantry building but we are now planning on being in our travel trailer months at a time and will not have much storage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome. Sorry about you being restricted on pantry planning but then the bonus is you are going to be doing lots of travelling. I hope you really enjoy all the new experience and new places. Freedom. Enjoy/ Pattypan xxx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts