Pudding and Monday night catch up - Rhubarb and Custard

I was not hungry enough for my main meal last night and so I postponed it.  OH had a couple of pork chops with some baked beans - it is something that he likes but I am not so fussed and as I had eaten earlier on though and was full I decided not to partake.

However I did indulge in pudding.  Rhubarb and custard.  The rhubarb was home grown in our garden and did not look very enticing to start with.  However!

I kept things simple.  I washed and chopped the rhubarb and popped it into a pan with a little water so that it did not catch.  It soon lost its shape and went into puree at which point I added some sugar.  I do not know how much sugar I put in as I add sugar for taste and aim for a sweet and sour effect with the rhubarb not too sweet as we love the rhubarb tang but not so sour that our mouths pucker up and react.  It very much depends on your own taste buds and how you like it but part of the beauty of the rhubarb is the tang so you don't really want to lose that if you can help it.

I served the rhubarb in a big bowl each and then liberally added custard (I did not mix it together so it was more like a broken down fool).  However such a simple pudding went down well with both of us and we thoroughly enjoyed it.  I am going to get some more rhubarb plants as it is something that is so useful in the garden and so expensive to buy in the shops but you can do so much with it.

Tonight we have the roast pork chops with the trimmings which I was meant to do last night.  The chops are on the bone and came from Aldi. I am old fashioned in that I feel that meat cooks better on the bone and tends to have a lot more flavour.  I might also make another lemon surprise pudding.  Will see how things go.  Lemon Surprise Pudding

Tomorrow we have either cottage pie or lasagna.  Both will be made and then it is up to his nibs as to what he wants to eat.  We tend to eat both alone without extra veggies although with Lasagna I do tend to like a mixed salad.

I have decided that I am going to go foraging at the end of the week to see what else I can find in the hedgerow to add to the pantry.  I also need some more teasels for putting up for decorations and some more cones.

I am also looking out for Victoria plums as I have lots of preserves that I want to do with these.  They are one of my pantry staples.  You can do so much with them, plum jam, apple and plum jam, plum jelly, plum sauce, bottled plums (for Christmas sweetmeats Sugar Plums), bottled plums for puddings, mincemeat, plum sauce, Chinese plum sauce

I also want to make Piccalilli. Recipes are here (Waitrose spicy version recipe) 


I noticed that the green runner beans were in the shops yesterday and also at my greengrocers.  Next year I shall have my own to process for the freezer and for preserves such as Runner Bean Chutney and Piccalilli.

On the crochet blanket front, I will have to get some more wool later in the week to join and finish the blanket off.  I  have worked 21 squares.  Only three more to go.

Right better get a wriggle on; washing to hang out and another load to put on.

Catch you all later on.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts