Tinned Can Pantry 1 - Salmon Dip

I know for the past couple of posts I have been prattling on about stocking up the pantry with tinned goodies, why I choose certain items but I have not really gone into detail about what I actually make with said ingredients.

As the weather is too darn hot for my liking at the moment I am trying to get out of cooking wherever I can.  So for myself I am going to make an old favourite which is light, filling and tasty.  Namely Salmon Dip.

You will need:

180g/210g tin of salmon red or pink up to you.
7 fl ozs of Crème Fraiche (I have also used what is to hand i.e. Cream Cheese and a little plain yogurt to thin it down a little in the past)
Some capers
Some cornichons

Basically all you do is drain the tin of salmon and sort out any bones (although soft and they will mash in I have always been taught to remove these).  Old habits die hard I suppose.

To a food processor add the salmon and the Crème Fraiche (or alternatives).   Whizz it up until combined.

Stir through 1 tablespoon of chopped capers and two finely chopped cornichons.  I fold these in with a spatula until evenly combined as I still want some texture to the dip.  If I put it back in the processor it will paste it.

Taste the dip and if not enough seasoning for your liking add a little salt and pepper.

I then prepare a plate of crudites, celery, carrot, cucumber, spring onions, pepper and then add the dip to a separate bowl and place this on the same platter.  You can also use the Italian style bread sticks or chunks of baguette to serve with.

So nice and easy tea for me this evening.  Going to have to sort something out for OH though.  Mind you he is easily pleased as a rule.

Might also have to sort something out for pudding.  Will have to brood on that one.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x




Comments

  1. Creme fraiche is such a useful thing to have in the fridge. Good in sweet or savoury dishes, and it has a longer "fridge life" than fresh cream.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts