A combined post and in search of a Golden Christmas pudding recipe

OH worked overtime this morning (Saturday) and was later home than usual it being nearly 1:30pm by the time he arrived and we walked Missy first before going home to get something to eat.

Rather than just have breakfast we had brunch.  He had bacon, egg, tomatoes and mushroom with a couple of hunks of bread and I had egg and bacon with a little tomato.  It was very tasty and has hit the spot.  Eggs and Bacon are kept in-house here on a regular basis as it can be for breakfast, brunch or an evening meal so is one of those  meals that is pretty flexible, but tasty and filling.  One of the problems I have with OH is that he changes his mind on a regular basis about what he wants to eat.  For the best part I manage to keep him to plan but not all the time.  Egg and bacon plays a big part on those occasions.

Later on will probably have some of the cold meats that have in the fridge with some pickle, chutney, beetroot and some chunky bread. It will save me having to cook.

After that I was contacted by a long standing and very special friend and we arranged to meet up at the pub and go out for a meal and a put your world to rights session. We met for 5pm but I did not get home until about 2.20pm this morning.  Not intoxicated just very high on good company and good food.  It is good to be with like-minded friends.

I have my Christmas puddings and Christmas cakes to make shortly (I have four cakes and four puddings to make and I have offered to make them).  That is as of today (Saturday) and there may be a few more added as I go along.  I love doing stuff like this and it always tastes so much better.  I have been set a bit of a challenge though in that her husband is not a great dried fruit eater so I am after a light coloured Christmas pudding that will keep.  So far I have not come across such a pudding; I have some ideas and am going to play about a bit in the kitchen and experiment a bit but I thought I would ask if any of you ladies/gents have come across such a recipe.  Even if it is only used as a starting reference by me any help or pointers would be gratefully received.  They are special friends so I want to do my best for them.  

Today (Sunday) we walked Missy and then went to Aldi to top up and get a piece of meat for dinner today.  We are going to be having roast pork with the trimmings.  There should be some crackling too with a bit of luck.

I also bought fresh veg, carrots, mushrooms, cabbage, French beans, petit pois (frozen), calabrese, cauliflower and onions. A large chicken, more bacon, sausages, some Strawberries and cream, some cheese.  

I had a good look at the baking stuff today as well and it is a lot cheaper than I have seen elsewhere so I am hoping to top up a little bit shortly.  

I also bought some frozen blackberries to make an apple and blackberry crumble for pudding. This should be nice with a bit of cream or custard. They were about £1.49 for 500g.  Two bags totalling 1kg would cost £2.98 which is enough to make a batch of jam with some apple and will get approximately four standard jars.  You can make jelly as well but you do not always achieve as many jars.  However it is still worth making.  To buy fresh you would pay about £2 to £3 for a 400g pot.  So sometimes it pays you to buy frozen.  They had fresh peas instore today as well but I opted to buy the petit pois (frozen) which I think was about £0.89.  So I am well pleased with what we bought today.

I have some chicken stock to make during the week in any event (I have a previous carcass that is going to be popped into the slow cooker with lots of veggies) and left on overnight.  I am also hoping to make a slow cooker rice pudding during the week as well.  Now that the weather is cooling down a little I am feeling the need for more substantial food.  There is the chicken of course and I usually get about three meals out of that.  It is a large chicken. We will probably have another stir fry and also there will be another carcass for more stock. I also bought sausages to try their Lincolnshire ones and they were not too bad.  These are going to be used for a "Toad in the hole" with some mashed potato and onion gravy.  We also have plenty of bacon and I might make a quiche.  I like this hot and it can always be served with a baked potato or two.

I have a gammon to cook a little later on as well so I will also have stock from that but soup can always be made and any little bits and bobs of left over meat can go into those as well.  So lots of good simple eating on the cards for this week.  Maybe some mixed veggie soup, leek and potato and also French Onion soup.  

As the cooler weather calls for more cooked foods, puddings tend to put in  more of an appearance here. OH likes Tapioca or Frogspawn as we call it.  I am not a fan.  However I do like rice pudding and also semolina.  You can serve both with a big spoon of home made jam to ring the changes and it always goes down well.  All of it good filling food.

It has been a warm bright day here today in Peterborough and it has got a little cloudier in the last hour or so.  OH is on earlies this coming week so it will be a really early start for the pair of us.  Tomorrow it will be back to the ground for me.

Right had better get pottering.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

Popular Posts