Countdown to Christmas 2019 83 Days to Christmas - Drying Orange slices for Christmas decorations and the Pantry




Well the fruit I have is more Clementines than oranges but even so they will be useful either to dry whole or in slices.  I have never done this before so I really am sticking my head in no man's land with this.  They came from the veg shop at £1 per bowl.  Initially I have bought £3 worth = 3 bowls.


I intend following a tutorial from here:



It gives you details on how to dry the oranges and how to build up the garland.  I already have some hessian in which can also be added to the garland cut into little strips and also a nice homely string.

The orange slices will also be useful for adding to fresh greenery decorations such as door wreaths and also to the Christmas tree and also garlands.


They can also be used in making up mulling spice  packs to add to a bottle of wine which again makes a useful present.


And for making into a nice fruit drink


There are therefore many uses for these fruit slices.  I am choosing to use them in garlands and I think the more I work with them the more I will find out what I can and cannot do with them.  

Natural garlands cost an arm and a leg to buy and are never the size you truly want them to be.  I love my garlands and I aim each year to add a garland or two hand crafted in different styles, and materials.  I have artificial natural looking garlands for the best part of the house in any event so these will go well with them.  A  couple of years ago I prepared a fir cone garland with a really pretty turquoise ribbon.

I have the bay tree in the garden with plenty of leaves and I do not want to trim the tree back before getting the orange slices dried.   I therefore need to get these on the go pretty quickly so that they are done and dusted with  and will just require hanging when it comes to put the decorations up.  Well that is the plan anyway.  I had also thought that I might give some of the bay leaves a golden edge as well with some spray paint.

I also intend drying a load of orange slices to put in the pantry in view of the fact that I am at the moment able to pick them up reasonably cheaply.

So that is another urgent job to do.

Catch you all later on.

Pattypan

x



Comments

Popular Posts