Getting out the Slow Cooker, Crock Pot whatever you call it

It is that time of year again the time of year when I drag out the slow cookers.  Now that I have the added responsibility of a new job and will not be at home to prep the meals to ensure that we will get a nice hot tea in a timely fashion I am bringing out the slow cookers.  This way on we can have a nice hot meal that will be ready within half an hour of us getting in (after the veggies have been cooked) and also a hot pudding of some sort as well.  I also have a multi pot cooker which is also very useful but at least with the slow cookers I can leave them on low during the day and then as I have said come home to a nice hot meal of an evening.

I have several slow cookers of different sizes.  My first slow cooker was a little tiny one bought specifically for me to make mulled wine in for Christmas.  OH does not like mulled wine and I do not like wasting ingredients and this was a way of me being able to have what I liked and be able to go backwards and forwards to it without wasting anything.

As the weather has turned particularly colder this week, next week I am going to be more organised with the meals.  Main meals and puddings are to be prepped the night before (over the weekend to start with).  I have some beef sausages to have with tinned tomatoes (a favourite supper here), some gammon steaks, 1kg of mince and a joint of pork to make use of before I nip to the shop to top up for next week.  I would like for next week to get a chicken, some stewing steak, some pork steak, some chicken breasts (for Hawain chicken) as well as some more mince to make Lasagna, chilli, and Cottage pie.  Together with veggies this should bulk out the  meals.  I also intend to make semolina, rice pudding, some fresh fruit of some description with a little cream and maybe a fresh fruit salad as well as a bread and butter pudding.  Will see how things go, but predominantly I hope to do much of the cooking in the slow cookers one way or another.

Since acquiring the mulled wine slow cooker, I have acquired a few more of different sizes including my mum's old one which I intend to use for making soap at some point in the future.

There are some recipes that I have not tried yet with the slow cooker.  Puddings is a new venture for me and I intend to have a go at making the rice pudding recipe to start with.

This is just an outline out loud of what I am thinking but no doubt things will change along the line apart from the fact that the slow cookers will mean the difference between an early or a late tea.

Do you use the slow cooker in your kitchen at this time of the year.  If so what sort of things do you cook and would you be without them.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. I love the slow cooker. Currently I have 3in the house (2 borrowed) because we're serving jacket potatoes to a crowd tomorrow, and SCs are a brilliant way of keeping hot fillings got. I made a lively sausage casserole last weekend using up veg in the fridge. I twist the sausages in half before putting them in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela, I have five. A couple from brand new but the rest sourced from local charity shops. I use my mum's old one for melting wax and/or making soap. I have different sized ones too and quite frequently have a pudding on the go as well as a main meal. They are ideal for keeping bacon and sausage warm for folks to help themselves to breakfast. A friend of mine had a load of us stay overnight and we were spoiled rotten by her preparing breakfast in this way which we had not expected. Hope your "do" was a good one. Take care Tricia xx

      Delete
  2. I have come to enjoy using my insta pot, both as a slow cooker and for the pressure cooking. When I was working, and it looks like I'll be returning to work for at least a few months, I came to enjoy prepping food on the weekend, make a batch of soup for lunches and at least one supper and then having something to go for the evening meal. It made having something comforting and filling easy. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi P&P. I don' have an instapot although have been eyeing them up. I am a fan of a pressure cooker in any event. Sorry you are also having to go back to work as well. I love cooking and don't see it as a chore either. Especially love homemade soups as they are a meal in themselves. We all need comfort food especially on dismal autumn and winter evenings. Hope you are keeping well. Take care Tricia xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts