Pumpkins

I am looking forward to buying a couple of pumpkins at the end of the week.  One for making pumpkin marmalade.  This believe it or not is lush.  The other for freezing pumpkin for roasting with our Sunday dinners.  I usually prepare the pumpkin by stripping out the flesh and the seeds and removing the peel.  I then cut into pieces and blanch it quickly before draining well.  To cook it I bung it in with onions (usually shallots) but pickling onions will do just as well or even ordinary onion cut into wedges.  Putting onion in helps caramelise the juices and then makes the potatoes, or pumpkin or even sweet potato pieces go nice and brown and toasty.  

I am also considering canning some pumpkin as well as we do love pumpkin. I have never done this before so am a tad nervous.   They make very good eating.  I have also recently been coming across some cake recipes where the pumpkin flesh is used so it would be useful if I could "kill two birds with one stone" and make sure that I have a steady supply of ingredients to hand in the pantry.  However, I am also thinking soup.  Particularly this recipe here I am itching to try.


I also have a recipe for a chutney which I want to give a whirl as well.  

I am off on Friday when I am going to spend sometime with Geoff.  I will get my pumpkins then.

Right I am very tired tonight.  It has been an exceptionally busy day and I am shattered.  Early starts as usual and then later finishes.  Oh well it keeps me out of mischief.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts