Saturday Round Up 18.01.20

OH worked this morning and I should have been out but that has been re-convened for another date.  As a result I have been pottering around at home, doing a little of this and a little of that until OH arrived home.  If he works OT then I try and make sure that we eat something when he comes home so that he gets something nice hot and solid into him.  Today it has been egg, bacon, tinned plum tomatoes, with back bacon and some mushrooms for him.  It has gone down very nicely.  I have indicated that if he is a little peckish later on that we can have cheese, biscuits and pickles.

OH then walked our Missy (our little Treasure) and as it was bitterly cold she was wrapped up in her thick jacket to go walkies.  I did not go and whilst they were out I nipped to the shop and then to the veg shop.  I have spoken about what I bought at the veg shop.

In the Co-Op though, I bought cream (for having with my coffee; a naughty indulgence but goes lovely with the new Lyons Coffee bags.  I also bought some coleslaw (for ease) although will make some in the week if I can locate a cow cabbage! They did not have any at the veg shop. OH is partial to coleslaw and I don't mind it either.  I particularly like it with baked potato and that might be a good warming meal for me to have mid-week during the day or for a quick tea during the week.

One of the new products that my local Co-Op has bought into the store is a Polish section in the cold stuffs, like Kefir milk in two sizes.  The larger bottle costs £1.40 and is a lot cheaper to buy from the Co-Op.  For a little bottle at Waitrose  you pay about £1.50.  They have also been selling little pots of Almette cream cheese for £1.25 per pot.  I love this as it goes well with crackers and you can use it in puddings as well and it also goes well with grapes.  It is also good served in a little heap on a tea plate with honey and pecan nuts dribbled over it and some French style bread/baguette and a fresh pear.  Yummy I am starting to dribble at the thought of this.  You have to let the ingredients speak for themselves. The simpler the better.

I have also located a squash and a pumpkin that I had forgotten about.  As they are stored in a cold place in the house they have lasted extremely well so some of the soup being made could be squash or pumpkin although I fancy some roasted with garlic as well.

I may pay a trip to the veg shop again on Monday to see what else they have available.  It was only a quick visit today really due to it being so cold.

I have watched two very good programmes this afternoon as well one on the Monsoon forests of the world and the other about luminescent sea creatures that we still know so little about.  Both were intriguing but I had not appreciated that the increase for Palm oil products had reached such a high with it being hidden in all sorts of ingredients bought from the supermarkets.  Is there any real need for Palm oil to be added to everything.  I am sure that a lot of items that were for sale when I was a youngster did not have such oils added.  In a lot of cases I don't think that they were known about. The Orang u Tangs and the Tiger are losing their habitat because of this.  Earth is being compromised and not for the greater good.  Man is certainly greedy and a killer to boot.  I shall certainly be checking my labels a lot more than I have been in the future and certainly not intentionally buying anything with Palm oil in it. The more it is added to ingredients the greater the demand will become.  So very sad.

For further information, I typed in a link for palm free products and the attached link came up with a list of further information for those of you who want to check this out more:

Palm Free

It is going to be an easy night tonight in front of the television just "resting" with a little pottering about here and there.

On that note, catch you all later.

Pattypan

x

P.S.  I was appalled at what products Palm Oil is added to.  There is an alternative to Palm Oil and that is "Lard".  If it came to a choice between Lard and Palm Oil I would opt for Lard.  I always make my pastry with lard and butter.

Please also have a look at this link why we should not use products with Palm Oil in and probably all the more reason to have a go at making our own cleaning products where we can.

https://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/why-you-should-avoid-palm-oil-and-how-to-do-it/

PP

xx

Comments

Popular Posts