Getting something extra from something you use

I am always pleased when I manage to get either an extra preserve or products from the ingredients that I use regularly in the house i.e. when I make plum jelly  as I have the opportunity to make plum cheese from the pulp left over in the straining/jelly net.  That to me is making the most of what you have and reflects my philosophy of "Waste not, Want not"!

I have a couple of projects coming up in the next week or so. I have some wine to make from kits, and I have Apricot wine made from dried Apricots to make as well.  The bonus from making the wine is that I will end up with a dried Apricot chutney as well.  I also have dried Apricot jam and Apricot and Amaretto jam to make as well.  Dried Apricots make a lovely jam.  

I love Apricots and am looking forward to buying in fresh Apricots which I tend to bottle in a very light syrup.  They are delicious served with croissants and cream cheese.  Yummy my mouth is watering at the thought.

I am also partial to the odd Medjool date or two.  They have pips in them and I have grown these before into quite nice little plants and then ended up losing them.  I have done the same with lemon and orange pips.  They eventually produce strong little plants and they are the something extra, which I had not expected.  Even more of an extra if you have somewhere warm where they will thrive.  I hope one day I have the somewhere warm for them to grow as I would quite like an area where I could grow citrus.  That very much appeals.

Basically, you take some tissue paper and dampen this I do this with a Hand spray. I then add the seeds individually laying them on the wet tissue.  I then fold them in a pocket of foil and place them somewhere warm.  Every few days I open this up and if more water is needed then add this gently - don't overload but make sure it is moist.  Then wrap up again.  Do this until they start to sprout.  Then decant into some compost and pop on a warm windowsill.  Keep watering when required.

This works with both lemon and orange seeds too.

I believe that you can grow these plants on to adulthood and indeed if kept in the appropriate surroundings to fruiting stage.  I have no experience yet of this, but you never know.  I have someway to go, but at least I have given some seeds the chance of doing something more.

I am also interested in growing veg from leftovers.  This quite appeals to my "Waste not, Want not" philosophy and is something I am going to have a go at.  For further information on this please go to:

https://beesandroses.com/2015/10/15/22-food-scraps-that-magically-regrow/

and

https://www.mnn.com/your-home/organic-farming-gardening/stories/how-to-regrow-food-from-scraps

I also have plans to dry the egg shells I use to deter pests in the garden see the link here:

https://getbusygardening.com/eggshells-as-organic-pest-control

I know that my Nan always used to give the chickens back some grit using crushed egg shells,

I also have plans to use banana skins as a way of providing potassium feed for plants such as tomatoes,  Well it is making something out of nothing.  The link is here:

https://101gardening.blogspot.com/2016/03/banana-peels-as-fertilizer.html and

https://gardentipz.com/2016/06/29/how-to-use-banana-peels-as-natural-fertilizer/

Both natural products which can be re-used and kept away from the refuse tip.

It will also help save the pennies a little.

That is how you get something extra out of nothing. These are not the only things you can do, but every time we try something a little different we become more knowledgeable and you learn far more from actually having a go and doing stuff.

I am itching to get going with all sorts of things at the moment but some of it is on the dream list as the garden I have is not very big.  I have seen a swing pergola, some garden arches, a very large oblong pergola which is overplanted with vines, honeysuckle and roses to go over an outside garden table and chairs.  I am still owed my garden swing from OH as well.  I am after a three seater if possible.

It is early yet, temperatures need to warm a little more here as well although some seeds are going on the bathroom windowsill.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Patty, I hope everything is okay, I'm a little worried as you haven't posted for a while love fluffy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fluffy, yes everyone okay here. Hope it is with you too. Have just popped up a post explaining my absence. I have been keeping myself very busy though. Take care and hold on in there Tricia xx

      Delete
  2. I hope you are staying safe Tricia. Worrying not to have had a post from you for a week. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BB, all is well, just have not been able to access computer. I have been reading your posts though, from OH's work computer, its just I have not been able to post anything as I could not remember my passwords. My memory is atrocious these days. Keep safe and I must say Tam's brew looks very interesting. Take care Tricia xx

      Delete
  3. Patty, been a while since you posted. I hope you are ok. Happy easter to you and your family. Tried to find an email just to see if your ok. Maybe I tag you in Pinterest. God bless...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa, everything is okay just have not had access to my computer. Managed to get on tonight but it could be a couple of days before am able to get on again. Hope you are okay just keep safe. Take care Tricia xx

      Delete
  4. Hi Patty, been checking in on your blog. I see you haven't posted and I'm concerned. I hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi from Canada, Pattypan...I miss your blog, hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lefting, have not had access to my computer. Managed to get on this evening and will do a couple of posts to cover the next few days as OH is working from computer room things are a bit tight. Stuff was popped on my computer desk which hid computer have partially relieved it this evening but there is still a lot more to go. Will probably be able to get on in a couple of days or so..Keep safe Tricia xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts