A variation on the HawaIian Chicken Recipe

This particular dish is an old favourite of mine and very tasty.  For me it is one to particularly make when all the new fresh veggies are available, but equally at any other time of the year as well.  It always cheers me up and it is a light meal.  The original quantities were to feed four people.

Last night's tea was delicious in its own right even with my modifications.  It is a recipe I have made many times and the original link is here:


In its original format the recipe is indeed one that is very tasty, however I am one for using what I have available in the house and end up varying the recipe as I go along, just making the best of what is in the pantry.  Last night for instance the peaches I had were in grape juice and not syrup and I had no Soy sauce which is in the original recipe,

I also note that I did not post any photographs on the original recipe and so for the amended recipe here is the amended version that I made yesterday:   It is colourful eye candy as well.


Preparation time approximately 30 minutes

Serves 4


Amended Ingredients:

1 x 15ml/1 tablespoon vegetable oil
15g/ ½ oz butter
1 medium onion thinly sliced
1 yellow pepper de-seeded and thinly sliced
1 Italian long red pepper de-seeded and thinly sliced
Half a bunch of chopped spring onions
A couple of carrots cut into sticks and then cubed
A handful of spinach
5 skinless and boneless chicken breast fillets
410g/14oz can sliced peaches in grape juice or you can use pineapple
1 x 15ml/1 tablespoon cornflour
2 x 15ml/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 x 15ml/1 tablespoons soft white sugar
2 x 15ml/2 tablespoons water/chicken stock
Sprinkle of cayenne pepper/paprika

I always add water or a little extra stock if there is not enough juice to make sure that there is enough sauce.  I taste as I go along so if I need more sour then I add a little more vinegar same again if not sweet enough - just adjust as you go along.

1. Heat the oil and butter in a wide shallow pan and gently fry the onion, pepper and chicken for approximately 5 minutes.  Then add chopped spring onions and carrot and do the same.







2. Drain peaches, and reserve them to one side.  To the syrup or grape juice mix the cornflour, vinegar, sugar, and water to the pan with chicken and veggies. Stirring all the time. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cover and simmer for as long as necessary at least 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.




3. Stir in the peaches and simmer for a further 5 minutes . Sprinkle with cayenne pepper or paprika.  Just before dishing up add a handful of baby Spinach leaves literally until they are just wilted.



4. Serve with a crispy green salad and freshly cooked rice.





I would also add that if you were to buy a jar of sweet and sour sauce it will cost you approximately £1.90 at the moment an increase of 40p a jar.  It is also packed with a lot of unnecessary sugar.  

My OH is diabetic and he has eaten this dish with the peaches in syrup, but making it with the fruit in grape juice gives a lighter less sweet meal which OH appreciated.  

On the original link for this recipe, how you make the sauce gives you the basis for making your own sweet and sour sauce which you can adjust with using fruit juice like pineapple or orange juice  (fresh or canned) as well as adjust the meats that you actually use.  It is just a matter of experimenting in your own kitchen and finding out what pleases your palate and what does not.  If it works take note write your recipe down and then carry on making it that way.

But most of all enjoy. For dinner parties and large quantities you could make this up in a few batches and then keep it warm on low in a slow cooker.  Very easy living.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. That sounds absolutely delicious Pattypan, might try that when we have company, too much for just the two of us, but I suppose you could put in the fridg. for another meal if eaten in a couple of days. Thanks for sharing. Come and visit me sometime. See My Piece of Earth

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts