Christmas 2020 Christmas Magazine Number Four - Good Housekeeping Christmas Collection


It is a wet damp day very overcast here in Peterborough and I am in need of some Christmas Spirit.  Well not literally although I may have a tot of dark rum in a coffee a little later on.

Many of you will probably have this magazine already.  However, I thought I would still share as there are some lovely ideas in here and with the current situation throughout the country we all need a chance to try and brighten up our lives a bit and do what we can for ourselves.  After all another big part of  Christmas is the food and the feasting.




This magazine really is about Christmas recipes and celebrating. Now there are some really lush recipes in this magazine, which again I love.

There is a recipe for a simple Christmas pudding which is not complicated, and one I would urge beginners to try.  It  is a relatively easy recipe especially for someone who has never made a Christmas pudding before. It relies on simple ingredients.  The school that I went to was a secondary school and it had very well balanced facilities and our Domestic Science kitchens were second to none.  Previous years before ours had made a Christmas cake one year and then a Christmas pudding the following.  Because the year I was in was last year Secondary Modern, First Year Comprehensive we missed out on doing this and the first cake and pudding I made was my first Christmas that I was married.  I learned how to do this from a book and a little intervention from my mum.  I still remember the sense of accomplishment after my first attempts.  So go on have a go it is not as complicated as what you think it is.



An Italian inspired Christmas cake also looks and sounds promising. It is fed with either sweet Marsala wine or Brandy.




There is also a recipe for Sherry Mincemeat which I am also going to have a go at whether it will beat my usual recipe remains to be seen but it does look juicy.  There is also an accompanying recipe for ultimate mince pies.




There are also recipes for Spiced Plum and Fig jam, Cranberry and Tomato Chutney and Merry Berry Liqueur which is quite quickly made as it uses frozen mixed berries and either white or dark rum.  One for the tipples shelf or trolley.




There are loads of ideas for celebrational drinks including Champagne and Grand Marnier  Fizz/Kir, Mulled Cranberry and Raspberry punch, Prosecco, Passionfruit and ginger, Spiced Blackberry Kir Royale and Clementine Rosemary Gin and Tonic. There are lots of lovely recipes with in many instances make ahead instructions incorporated within the recipe.  There are so many recipes in this magazine and I hope to test drive quite a few before Christmas. At Christmas I always have compote available and there is a lovely recipe for an Almond and Apricot cake which uses compote. There is also a section on how to oomph up bought products including some solutions to issues such as what to do if the Turkey is still pink. A section on how to use up the leftovers.



A very useful get ahead section for the freezer with recipes for Venison pie, Aubergine, Chickpea and sweet potato curry, Spiced chicken stew, Spicy Butternut Squash soup, Cheese and Chive Tart, Spinach and Riccotta stuffed pasta, Banana and white chocolate Blondie tart, Pecan and Cranberry Freezer cookies, Ice Cream Layer cake, French Onion soup, cheese and bacon puffs, smoked Salmon swirls, Rich Beef casserole, Broccoli, Gorgonzola and walnut quiche.  Puddings include Hazlenut and Raspberry Meringue cake, chocolate orange cheesecake.



One of the puddings I have quite taken a fancy to, a Sloe Gin and Plum trifle.  I am definitely going to test drive this one well before Christmas. OH is not a trifle fan (well at least with any spirit in it) so might just have to make a small one for myself.




I am also going to make some Marmalade and Bay gin.  There are no end of lovely recipes and ideas in this magazine.  Well worth the money.

Lots of inspiration for me in any event.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I have this magazine and agree with you, it has some lovely recipes in it. I haven't made my own Christmas pudding for years, I think all the steaming puts me off but I'm not working at the moment so with extra time on my hands I think I will give it a go this year. Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, You can use a slow cooker although I prefer to use a pressure cooker or a steamer basket over a pan of water. If you use a pressure cooker the pudding cooks a lot quicker and goes darker quicker. They usually advocate about 8 hours of steaming for a pudding. I have just bought a Ninja Foodie which has a pressure cooking and steaming facility on it so I may well pressure cook the puddings this year in that. If you have an Instant Pot that could also be used. Both pieces of equipment are ideal in that you do not have to leave the cooker on and can leave on the side to cook whilst doing other things. Do things you want to do, it does the soul and the heart good. I appreciate your position as I was made redundant out of the blue some four years ago and for the majority of the time have been at home since getting to potter and do things without any external stress. Something will turn up it always does. Take care and go on cook that Christmas cake and Christmas pudding. Stay safe Tricia

      Delete
  2. All this is making me drool. Bought puddings are never as good as homemade ones. I like mine quite light, with lots of spice, more of a steamed spicy sponge with some fruit, but I know people who would think that an abomination and protest if they didn't get masses of dried and glace fruit and nuts barely held together with cake mixture. I have ordered venison loin for Christmas day, as there are only two of us. Like you I love a guinea fowl too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fifitr, Home made puddings are the best. I even have a recipe from my Nan for a Christmas pudding using mashed potato which my mum cajoled out of her. That does not have masses of different fruit in it, but as I have never tried it I am not sure how it makes up. My OH is not keen on spice or mixed peel so I have to use a light hand with the spice and leave the peel out otherwise he will happily have a portion. Venison is a lovely choice for Christmas. I was debating the other day whether to buy a small joint as our Butcher had some in but decided to leave it. When I told OH he said I should have bought it. I am without a fridge at the moment so have nowhere long term to store a lot, so tend to go out every few days. Take care Tricia x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts