A little Local Shopping

Saturday morning is fast becoming the time when we nip to a local village town, collect our weekly selection of fish and shellfish; perhaps go to the bakers, sometimes call at the farm shop and/or the butchers.

We have done that this morning although we had set the alarm to leave reasonably early we slept through eventually waking up at about 8:45am wherein there was a mass panic to get out so that we were able to get what we were after on the fish front.  There is a saying "The early bird catches the worm" ,and this is very pertinent when it comes to the fish stall we go to.  We like a fresh crab each and sometimes if you are not there in time they do not have them.  So there is a method to our madness.

OH went and sorted out what we wanted today whilst I babysat Missy in the car.  He came back with a crab each, Crevettes for him, Crayfish for me, some cockles and we are having Mussels cooked in garlic and butter for tea this evening.  I am very much looking forward to this.  This is an absolute favourite.

On the way back we called at The Harvest Barn and I have bought some Rye Flour, some White Spelt Flour, an Onion Bread Flour and a wholemeal Spelt flour to try out.  I also located some dried Chervil and dried Aniseed to keep in the pantry.  







I have some ideas surrounding Christmas cooking concerning these. I also bought a Meringue - they are expensive but a real treat for me.  A Raspberry and white chocolate one.  Just a few useful bits picked up today, I am careful to choose a few at a time and am slowly getting the pantry shelf stocked.  I do need to go and get some more spices from town though.

Our son has also started asking for some fish and is joining in with our Saturday indulgence on the fish front. The crabs we get are from Cromer.  We were asked to get a couple for them today.  My daughter is not keen on sea food otherwise we would have bought her some as well.

From there we then went on to Willowbrook Farm to get a joint for tomorrow's dinner.  I have picked up a piece of Silverside for lunch tomorrow.  I intend to cook this on a bed of onions with a little water added to the base of the tray, cover the meat with foil and then cook it slowly so that the foil keeps the meat moist.  Then taking the foil off and finishing it off for the last half hour or so.  I always make gravy from the drippings into the tray and the onion helps give a lot of flavour to the gravy.  I do use copious amounts of white pepper when cooking generally.  I also bought some sausage and bacon. Bacon butties or sausage sarnies or even a  cooked breakfast slip in nicely inbetween main meals. I have also picked up a wholemeal loaf (I am quite happy with proper wholemeal bread but OH is not so this has been bought for me rather than him).

So all in all quite a busy morning.  I do prefer shopping small independent shops where I can but this is not always possible and so you have to make the most of opportunities as they come your way.

I have now stopped for a bit of lunch having  my crab which was delicious and a mug of coffee to warm me up.  I am now going to start again in the kitchen.  However, come what may I am having a sit down later on to do some more work on the cushions pattern.  That is my treat for working so hard this week!  Relaxation time.

Right am off to get on.  Enjoy your afternoon I am going to get cracking.

Catch you later.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Although I live by the sea for some crazy reason we don't have a fishmonger, not even a visiting one at the farmer's markets when they were still going. During lockdown I have been able to buy the occasional crab and lobster direct from the fishermen but it was explained to me that normally there is some sort of contract that prevents them selling direct to the public or anyone else setting up to sell fish or shellfish, which we are particularly known for in the area. This seems very strange to me but perhaps to guarantee someone taking all the catch the local fishermen have tied themselves to a particular distributor. Even so I would think it would pay someone, even the local supermarket, to have a wet fish counter as it seems ludicrous to watch fishing boats come in and yet not be able to get a piece of fresh fish here. So I very much envy you your local quality shops.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts