Apple Pop and Responsibilities

It is funny how a simple thing sparks a memory or memories.  I have been thinking about making Apple Pop again.  It is sometime since I have made it.  The story behind this is that when I was a teenager, as mum used to work before she was taken seriously ill, I was expected to help out with bits of housework, including my own washing and ironing and also being in the kitchen to assist mum with cooking, baking and washing up.  My father was determined that I would be able to cook properly and keep home by the time I left their care and this was something that was certainly achieved.

Mum at that time used to make an awful lot of wines and beers and she was very good at making them and blending them just like my Nan was.  I was encouraged to have a go and I used to make the Ginger Beer for the family (until my Dad got shot by a batch one summer whilst working in the garage) and then he banned me from making it. I was encouraged to make the yogurt for the family in the yogurt machine which had just come out,, make bread buns, do a lot of the baking.  I was given responsibilities which was a learning curve at the same time. It was a safe environment in which to learn and if things went wrong, we were shown how to put things right and learn useful life skills in the process,  Learning at the heels of your family ensures that you learn to do things properly and safely.

I also used to babysit a lot for local families and Susan and Clare's mum Janet and her husband Brian were from Somerset. They had relocated with his work (he worked for Sainsburys at the time).  She used to make this drink regularly and I was encouraged to give the children and myself it when we wanted. Janet passed on this recipe for Apple Pop which the children could drink as well.  So I used to make this too.  It is not a clear drink, cloudy and very refreshing.  A drink along the same lines as Ginger Beer.

It is a long time since I have made any but this Saturday I am going to start a batch off again.  Hopefully will be able to update with some photos during the week.

Janet's Apple Pop

It is not a drink that is meant to be kept for yonks and yonks, but to be a refreshing drink that is used up relatively quickly, like Ginger Beer.

So I have a little planned work to do this Saturday along with a couple of other projects that need my attention.

I started to sort the cupboard out under the stairs this afternoon and that is where some of my fizzy drink bottles are stored so perhaps divine timing to make this again after such a long break.  This cupboard needs a good scrub out and some patching and fresh paint.  I might get to this late tomorrow with a bit of luck.  It will be good to get this cupboard all sorted out and new shelf covering put on as well.

Right am off to potter.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts