An earlier post today - Pattypan's Kitchen Marmalade Bread and Butter Pudding

Not what I had intended but I guess it is called going with the flow.

I had planned on having the remains of the Lasagna warmed up mid-day but when it came to it I was not hungry OH was.  So basically I have switched things around a bit to suit what we are actually doing through the day.

OH got a fry up as he was hungry.  A bit spoilt I think. His breakfast consisted of two Toulouse sausages (garlic ones), three rashers of bacon, some fried mushrooms and two fried eggs. I cannot always face a breakfast of this magnitude and am quite happy with a bowl of cereal such as Muesli or Granola with milk, or a pot of yogurt (homemade of course) with some fruit.

So tonight's tea is the remnants of the Lasagna and for pudding a Marmalade Bread and Butter pudding served with cream.  Only a small one, but I needed to use some old bread up and this is a nice simple way of doing it.

Here is how I made the Bread and Butter pudding

Ingredients:

Enough Stale bread to fit your chosen dish for this small dish I used six slices but for a larger version you will probably need double this.

Enough Butter to spread on bread

Marmalade (I have a partial jar to use up), but you can use a whole host of ingredients to vary the recipe ranging from jams, to frozen fruit, fresh fruit. dried fruit, chocolate etc.  You can even add a little dash of booze i.e. Grand Marnier if you choose.

3/4 a pint of milk

5 medium eggs

100g of sugar (I used some home made vanilla sugar yummy)

Some chocolate chips (I had some to use up which were milk chocolate, but bitter chocolate is particularly nice with orange).

Method:

I used a standard loaf sliced bread for this which is what I had to hand.  I buttered the bread and then cut the stack from corner to corner so that I have four pieces of bread per slice.  I then put the marmalade on these once buttered. I then stack the bread pieces on their end I used one long one and then two small ones all along the dish but you can arrange it differently if you want to.





I don't chop the crusts off but you can if you want to.  I tend to leave the crusts on so that the pieces can stand properly in the dish.

I then make the custard from the eggs, milk and sugar.  I use a whisk to keep the mixture  moving quickly and so that it does not catch on the base of the pan.  You want to make sure that everything is mixed in well.  My eggs were bright orange a wonderful colour which has given a lovely lemony colour to the custard.  Do not boil, just a little below that.



Then take off the heat and pour onto the bread arranged in your chosen dish.  Leave to stand for about an hour for the bread to absorb the custard.  Here mine is soaking.




Pre-heat your oven to Gas Mark 4/180 degrees C and then cook the pudding for approximately 45 minutes until nice and golden.

Mine is currently in the oven and will add a final photo once it is cooked.

Very much looking forward to this as it is a long while since we have had one.

Will updated later.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Update:

This was very very tasty.  Here is a photo of the part-cooked pudding:


Here is a photo of the completed pudding:



And photos of a generous portion of the pudding each.  It was lovely and went down a treat. Simply served with a dash of cream.  Yummy.







Comments

  1. Thnaks will try this when I have enough stale bread.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts