Bargains for the Pantry Shelf

I have been very blessed today in that I have been able to locate and buy at reduced prices the following:

10 reduced cucumbers at 42p each reduced from 65p each. i.e. £4.20,




4 boxes x 6 eggs @ 75p per box i.e. 24 eggs for £3



Punnet of sweet grapes £1

Eating apples @ £1 a bowl x 4 = £4 for  4kg




Oranges at £1 a bowl x 2 bowls = £2



2kg Pickling Onions @ £2.50 per kg. - £5



2 Bowls of Italian Sweet Peppers £2.00



Total spent - £19.20

I will report back on how many jars I get of each in due course.

What am I going to do with them.  Turn them into useful products for my pantry shelf.  I plan on making the following:

Cucumbers to be turned into more Bread and Butter Pickles for OH.

Eggs Destined to be turned into pickled eggs. You pay about £3 a jar in the shops and do not get very many.

Punnet of sweet grapes for eating but may buy some more and dehydrate.

Eating apples for apple butter and dried apple rings. Never had Apple Butter before and am going to make in the Slow Cooker.

Oranges for sweet pickled orange slices for decorating a gammon or ham.  Also can be used as a savoury accompaniment to a salad and also a Ploughman's platter. Any syrupy vinegar leftover can be saved and stored in bottles and heat processed to give it a longer shelf life and can be used as a winter salad dressing.

Dried Orange slices for teas and decorations.  The variety is a Naval.

Pickling Onions for Pickled Onions.  You pay about £3 a jar at the shops.

Italian sweet peppers for turning into Chilli Jam and Chilli Jelly and maybe pickled peppers.

I have some Bananas that I intend to dehydrate for use in home made muesli for the pantry shelf and also thought would make some Banana Bread or Banana Muffins.

I am after a little food security this winter or as best as I can do by adding things to the Pantry store that I know we will eat.

It looks as though my Mandolin Slicer is going to see some action over the next few days.


Also looking out this week for the following@

Bramley apples for chutneys

Peaches for bottling and for jam.

Lemons for Lemon Slices and for adding to drinks.

*More Pickling Onions. Another 2kg bought since filing this post.

Courgettes, Aubergines to be used in the Ratatouille Chutney.

More Red Peppers for Pickled Peppers.

Pears for Bottled Pears and also Pear Chutney.

Dark Plums for Chinese Plum Sauce and for bottling.

No great shakes if I cannot locate anything, there is always next week, but I want to get as much done and dusted as I can especially if we go away for another few days in due course.  So a lot of work to complete.  It will all be worth it though.

This morning we had simple toast for breakfast.  I opened a small jar of my Blackberry and apple jam and it was lovely.  Nice set and a lot of flavour so I am very chuffed with that. I really did appreciate that this morning. Should be good in baking and also with porridge on a winter's morning.



All in all it has been a good day with lots of work to do and lots of prospective work to be done, but hey it is only the depth that varies.

I am looking also to get my Christmas cake and my Christmas puddings made this week as well.  May well now be later in the week, but they need doing.

Catch you later.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts