Calves Liver and Onion Casserole

This is what we had for tea last night.


OH had not had Calves liver before but I think he is a convert.  I tend to use Pigs liver for this type of casserole but they did not have any so could not get this.  This Calves liver though made an excellent substitution.

I basically fried off in some seasoned flour the liver cut into regular sized pieces very gently and then did the same with some streaky bacon (the bacon I cut into small pieces after cooking).  




I then emptied everything into a large casserole dish and added a couple of sliced carrots, a large onion finely sliced, a little fresh leek also finely sliced.  I then added in some Beef stock, mixed herbs, white pepper, redcurrant jelly, (I added water to the frying pan and bought to the boil to use the meat juices and then emptied it into the casserole dish) and some Marigold powder.  Everything was mixed in and the lid put on and cooked at Gas Mark 5 for a couple of hours.  Half way through I added the thickener and then checked it a bit later on. If still not thick enough add a little more.  When I do a casserole like this, I like a thicker gravy.





Simply served with some mashed potato in a flat soup bowl because of the gravy and served with sliced bread (optional to soak up all that gravy.  You must dip your bread if having a casserole or a stew)!




Must say that it was very tasty, very warming and just what the Doctor ordered.  Pure comfort food.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. My, that looks good. Just the ticket for autumn days. Pure comfort food. Do you do takeout ? 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, it was very tasty and did the trick. I have found that with OH having Diabetes, that if he does not have a proper cooked meal every day it affects his mood swings so I do try and keep him on an even keel. No take out at the moment. Perhaps it is something to consider! Take care and hope you are keeping well. Triciax

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts