Going to the Butcher

 It has been a very cold, grey and misley day here.  I suspect it is only one of many more to come as it feels really cold to me at the moment.  As a result of a medical condition i.e. Raynaud's Syndrome, I tend to feel the change in temperature way before most other people.  Hang me up on a wall and I would make an excellent Barometer!

Today we have paid a visit to the Butcher at Willowbrook Farm Helpston near Peterborough.  Willowbrook Farm

It is the first main meat shop since coming back from holiday and hopefully it should last us until the end of next week if not longer.  

Like most shops to survive the Butcher we use has diversified and it is a Farm Shop.  They have a selection of vegetables, delicattessen, eggs, frozen as well as other items. There is a tea shop/restaurant and also a small garden centre at their premises.

Today before we even ventured into the shop (the veg is in a shed outside) I saw these massive leeks.  I have bought four of them and they are indeed solid and large.  I will dehydrate some of them for use in further stews, casseroles and soups and some will go into casseroles and stews I have planned for the next week.




Personally I would much rather go to a proper Butcher's shop (not that I have anything against Supermarket Butcher's) but from past experience and perhaps the way I was bought up a local Butcher will have the prime animals he wants.  The price of food is not cheap at the moment and I would rather pay out for a decent bit of meat and have less of it and stretch it further from a Butcher.  The taste is far superior in my opinion.

As the weather has "turned" we are both craving warm comfort food to warm us up from the inside.  OH is rather partial to Liver, but we disagree on how to eat it.  If he had his way he does and will eat it raw or "blue", but if I am having any of it, it has to be cooked.  I like my food cooked and get a bit squeamish otherwise. 

I normally use Pigs liver for Liver and Onion casserole, but unfortunately they did not have any today.  OH has not had Calves Liver before (I have it is delightful in a mixed grill - now that is an idea for later in the week).  I have therefore bought some and that is what we are going to have for tea tonight with some mashed potatoes.  Nice and simple but heart warming.  I tend to use veggies a lot but sometimes the simplest of recipes are the best.  So that is what is planned for tea tonight.



I have also bought a kg of stewing beef.  A big stew is planned which will last a couple of days.  Stew to me is always better the second time around after it has cooled and the flavours have merged.



A couple of large gammon steaks.  OH manages one quite easily but I struggle to eat a whole one.  He eats what I do not manage.  This will be lovely served with an egg or with pineapple.  I do have some tinned pineapple in house.



A couple of Rib Eye steaks which will either do a salad with or veggies and gravy and peppercorn sauce no matter which way I prepare it.


A kilo of pork sausages.  OH has these for brekkie but I will also get a toad in the hole out of it as well.  Another good comfort meal.

A kilo of streaky bacon.  This is for OH as I rarely eat bacon these days, although may have a small mixed grill later in the week.

We also bought some fresh buns and a couple of packs of their precooked and packaged ham and roast beef.

A pigs ear for the dog!

And some new to us local cheese.  Think it is like a Brie/Camembert from the looks of it.  It is called the Whyte Wytch and it is according to the label on the back produced at Sacrewell Farm, Thornhaugh.  I shall update on this after have tasted some




This is where I did my beekeeping training many years ago. Although the farm has changed considerably since then. It is worth a day out with the children.

Sacrewell



So some good eating to come.  Very lucky for this.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x





Comments

  1. That butcher shop with all the extras like veggies, tea shop and garden center would draw me in. You have some good meals ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terra, lovely to hear from you hope you are well. I like proper farm shops, they do a nice tea and lots of nice cake too. Also normally do Carveries over the weekend which are really lovely. We are lucky it is not too far from home. I feel the cold badly and OH has Diabetes so I like to make sure that we have what I call substantial simple meals during the colder months. It affects his mood as well. Take care Tricia x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts