Every Bit Counts challenge Day 2 2nd August - A Gathering Day and Sausages

The Challenge

Today has been a bit of a disaster on the Challenge Front!  Despite things being sorted for me to get on, real life has intervened. It has also been unbearably hot not a good day to be in the kitchen.  Therefore looking on the positive side, i.e. the glass half full rather than being empty, today has been a gathering day.  On top of the projects already in hand I have managed to accumulate a load of other items to process.  I shall try and get back on schedule in the next couple of days.  Very frustrating!

Today should have been a Lemon day as I have a bag of Lemons to process.  I had part prepared a couple of items on this, fortunately I had not amalgamated things so those projects can be recovered and caught up with.



I then managed to acquire another three baskets of dessert apples for £1 a kilo.  I came home with 3kg to use up somewhere along the line.



We then walked the dog, and I went armed with a couple of colanders to see if any blackberries were ready.  I have ended up sticky and covered in blackberry juice, scratched and stung, (I always manage to find the nettles near Blackberries)! I have come away with about 2kg of Blackberries which together with some more wilding apples found on the floor and some of the dessert apples I am going to turn into Apple and Blackberry pie mix for the winter months.  The blackberries were nice and big and very tasty. Perfect for pie/pudding filler.






I also bought some more eggs, to be pickled.  Today has therefore been a gathering day, but there are lots of projects in hand with which to stuff the Pantry shelf.

NB: the blackberries have been decanted into bowls in the fridge, ready for processing tomorrow.  Just too hot and sticky tonight, so that shall be an early morning job to tackle.  I am glad that I picked them as they were ready and would not have been pickable off the bush as of tomorrow. In total weight there are about 5 1/2lbs.  Not bad for a bit of picking.

Real Life

The Pork Pies have also been completed and had their jelly added.  They are now in the fridge for the jelly to set.  We shall enjoy those tomorrow.  Will take photos of the finished pies tomorrow.

We have tried the sausages and chipolatas today and they were gorgeous.  It was like returning home to an old friend.  We therefore had for our tea tonight because it has been so hot, a family favourite of tinned plum tomatoes, some white pepper and grilled chipolatas.  Has gone down very nicely thank you very much.



Needless to say we will be going back to Franks!

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x



Comments

Popular Posts