Every Bit Counts Challenge Day 3, 3rd August 2022 Everything Lemons - Part One

When life gives you Lemons, lets make something of it.  In my case, a load of Lemons that had been reduced at the veg shop. This seems to happen quite regularly. with the Lemons so when I get a bargain like this I try and make the most of it


Three baskets of Lemons for £1 a bowl (next to nothing when supermarkets locally are charging 50p per Lemon) at my local veg shop. Lemons to me are very useful in my cooking, and each year I try to add a few more different items to my repertoire.  I particularly like homemade Lemon Curd as it is so useful for puddings and in baking.



Lemon Curd

Will therefore be first on my list of things to make.  It is not only lovely for cooking with but we love it spread thickly on chunks of toast.  This is the recipe I am following for those of  you wishing to have a go:

Lemon Curd Recipe

It is relatively easy to make, but you will need to pay specific attention to the eggs. All the ingredients go in with the eggs going in last. As I put them in the bowl I sieve them to make sure there is an even texture. 

To start with until everything is amalgamated and mixed it is better to have on a lower heat and increase it gently as you do not want to scramble the eggs. It does however make a fantastic preserve which is tangy and fresh and a jar can be used to make a Lemon Meringue Pie. I have at least a couple of more batches of this to make in the next few days.


To start with there is no curd on the spoon.  This gradually builds up.



The texture of the curd is also thin.


As it thickens it starts to leave a residue on the side of the bowl.  You can see the rim mark.


The mixture is a lot thicker here, but still has a way to go.



Two jars of Precious Lemon Curd for the Pantry Shelf






Making Lemon curd is slightly different to other preserves, in that the preserve is more or less ready when you have a build up of "the custard" on the spoon.  As you cook the preserve it gradually gets thicker as it cooks.  You do not have to test like jam or jelly.

Lemon Marmalade

Lemon Marmalade Recipe

Before starting to make this Marmalade pop two saucers into the fridge which will be used for testing the set of the Marmalade.

All the ingredients mixed together







The mixture foams up quite extensively, and so as not to spoil the preserve, I add a nob of butter to the mixture, this dissipates the foam and makes the preserve look professional.



This marmalade was relatively quick to set I have tried to show the "wrinkle" which shows the Marmalade is set.





Pot into hot sterilised jars and pop the lids on whilst hot. I obtained 6 1/2 jars out of this mixture.




Lemon Sugar and/or Lemon, Lime and Orange Sugar

I found this video link on how to make this, (which for me will be for tomorrow now).  A good and useful way of providing a different ingredient for your Panry shelf, and for use in  your baking and cooking.  Just use flavoured sugars in same quantity as ordinary sugar for the recipe you are following.

Lemon and/or Lemon, Lime and Orange Sugar

I love pancakes, especially in their simplest format with either just lemon and sugar or orange and sugar.  So why not make my own sugars for use in my kitchen and straight off my pantry shelf.  It is a good way of using up the zest from the Lemons and/or Oranges.  

I also like fresh fruit salad, and a syrup made with flavoured sugar mixes things up a bit and gives a change to flavour.I have plans to make quite a bit of this as well. If I make enough of the Lemon Sugar and/or Orange sugar I should have plenty to see me through the winter months.  It makes a very good addition to a fruit salad. I think a full Orange sugar would be good for a Christmas cake.

The sugar is also good for a flavoured icing on the top of fresh homemade Lemon or Orange cake as well as in use for shortbread and a Victoria sponge as well as in homemade Lemon Meringue Pie.  You just exchange the normal sugar for Lemon Sugar which will end up giving more flavour to your baking.

Lemon/Orange Cleaning Vinegar

There is no need to waste the shells either.  The shells could then be popped into a large jar together with white vinegar for about 4 weeks.  



Lemon or Orange cleaning vinegar is making use of something that would otherwise be potentially thrown away. The vinegar is a very good degreaseant in its strongest form, but also good as a cleaning spray when mixed with a little water. Makes everything smell fresh as well. These are going to be popped into a large jar with white vinegar to start off the process. The Lemon skins are clean due to me using an electric Lemon squeezer for extracting the juice.

There are some seeds left over from the processing. I am going to wash those down and get a wad of tissue, dampen it and then add the seeds spaced apart. I will then add some more tissue to the top and pop this into a ziplock bag, leave for a few days to see if the seeds will sprout shoots. I have done this before and it has worked, so we will see what happens this time around.

Hopefully tomorrow I will also be able to get to this much loved and favourite pudding.  As well as putting stuff up on the Pantry Shelf, we also need to eat goodies seasonally as well.

Lemon Surprise Pudding

I not only like to preserve items, but every so often take advantage of those items I do find and cook "seasonally".  This Lemon pudding is absolutely delightful and well worth the making.  The link is below:

 Lemon Surprise Pudding


There will be further items to use up the Lemon pile in due course.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. You've been busy! Not heard of Lemon Sugar before.How long are you expecting the Curd to keep for? The recipe I have says 2 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BB, The recipe I have used normally keeps at least six weeks. Have had some success with water bathing the curd for about 10 mins which seems to keep it that bit longer. The trick to make it last is a cold storage place though. Under my stairs is ideal for this, x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts