Every Bit Counts Challenge Day 7, 7th August 2022 - Strawberries


Today, for the #Everybitcountschallenge, hosted by Jessica of Three Rivers Homestead, I have prepared strawberries for bottling/canning.  They have been prepared by topping out the leaf/core section of each Strawberry and then popping into bowls in layers, and then on each layer sprinkling sugar.  They have to stay in the fridge for at least six hours before going into a saucepan to warm through for a short while and then being layered up in jars.

The recipe I have followed is here:

Bottled/Canned Strawberries

and is a Practical Self Reliance recipe.  It is not a recipe I have used before.


The Strawberries after having been in the fridge.  The sugar has drained out some of the syrup although there was not a lot.  I also had to cut some of the bigger Strawberries in half.  However, what I would say is that it was easier to get the Strawberries in the jar following this method as was able to push them down without splitting them.



I sterilised the jars and then packed the Strawberries in.  Then you pour what syrup there is.  I added a little more sugar and a drop of hot boiled water to make the syrup go a bit further and fill the jars. Seals and rings then put on.  Jars assembled ready to Hot Water Bath Canner.





Hot Water Bath Canner with the jars loaded in.  Just needs to be topped up with water so that the jars and lids are fully covered.




First batch of jars after processing.  One of the jars appears to have syphoned.  Will check further on that tomorrow.  The others appear to have sealed although the fruit is floating a little bit despite being soaked in sugar in the fridge overnight.  I have read that Strawberries are a little disappointing in their results because they are fragile, but this I think will make a useful ice cream topper.  Now if I can only stop the fruit floating.  Would appear that I need to pack the jars tighter than I did tonight.



Will check them all out completely tomorrow.

However, I have enjoyed doing these.  Another 8 possibly 7 jars for the Pantry shelf.  

Yippee!

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

NB: Seven fully sealed jars out of the eight.  The eighth one has not sealed as there was a small flaw in the jar. So will be eaten later as pudding.  Seven out of eight is not too bad.  Must address the fruit rising though. It will be something silly.  But at least have something a little different for the Pantry shelf!

Comments

Popular Posts