Every Bit Counts Challenge Day 8, 8th August Fermented Honey Garlic

It has been a terribly hot day here today, and apparently we have more heat to come tomorrow until Monday next week when it is supposed to rain.  Whilst I like the sunny weather, I am not a sun worshipper.  I am also very aware that all the vegetation is tinder dry and that the trees leaves are drying out much earlier than they should be.  We really need some rain.

Fermented Garlic in Honey

This was made on the spur of the moment.  Thank you to Tracy at Our Smallholding Adventure, for showcasing this one.  As I had some garlic that needed using up, and some honey, I thought that this might be useful in the Medicine Chest part of the Pantry as well as for cooking Chinese style meals and general cooking. I like projects that do double duty. I am a great believer in herbs and honey at the best of times.  From personal experience really.  

As a child I had the most horrendous Tonsolitis with only ever getting a week's break from an attack.  They would not take my tonsils out until I was seven, and nothing would touch the infection or give much relief.  In the end my Nan went to a local herbalist told him what the problem was and he made up a medicine which worked and gave a lot of relief.  We had the recipe for that medicine but my Dad lost it.  I know that it had Lavender, garlic, honey in it.  The mixture looked thick and uninviting, a greyish colour but boy did it work.  So there is a lot to be said about the old ways.  I think a lot of commercial products are too hard for most people's systems and although they work they often give other issues as well.  Herbalism works with your system and is much more gentle.  I am also a great believer that what we eat can help us and keep us healthy and if you get that right there is in a lot of cases no need for formal prescription medication.

The recipe below is the one I have used.   I like the bung it in and let it work mentality.

Fermented Garlic and Honey


My hands smelled awfully of garlic afterwards (I did not plan things well as I have some fruit to prepare), so out came the Lemon juice and squirted and rubbed it into my hands which helps lessen considerably the garlic smell.  Might have to do it a couple of times but it does help.

Felt a bit disappointed not to be canning something today.  However the heat has been horrendous.  I have ended up pottering about doing preparation work for other projects because it has been too darn hot.  However that is preparation and every little helps.

Hopefully will be more to report tomorrow.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

Popular Posts