Every Bit Counts Challenge - Day One - 1 August 2022 Apples

Day One of the #Everybitcountschallenge 

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/everybitcountschallenge/

hosted by Jessica of @Three Rivers Homestead.

https://www.instagram.com/threerivershomestead/

Monday has been a busy day, not necessarily what I had in mind but heigh-ho, such is life.  I had intended to do a bit more than what I have actually achieved today, but there we are, we can only do what we can do, have to work with what we have and the time we have available.  It all adds up in the end.

I have peeled all the apples I had to hand and they have been turned into eight jars of apple sauce/fruit puree for serving with roast pork and/or having with oats/porridge/muesli or granola for breakfast. Also good in pancakes and in a sponge cake, or pies and tarts. The recipe is a Pam Corbin one and the link to this is here for those of you wishing to have a go.

Windfall Apples

I peeled and cored the apples and then placed them into salted water, whilst I peeled the rest to stop them browning.  It is only a light salting, and then once all the apples were prepared I rinsed well in cold water.


The prepared apples were popped into a heavy based pan with a little water to cook them down.




All neatly bottled, and have been water bathed for 10 minutes from boil to make them shelf stable.





I used eating apples, which do not pulp down as well as cooking apples, but they do give a very interesting chunkier texture. I broke mine down with a spatula as they cookedI have managed to get eight jars of another precious preserve for the Pantry shelf. I will definitely utilise the eating apples again.

I intend to make some more of this in due course.  A very useful little product that will make for a healthier breakfast in the winter months in particular.

However, all those peels.  A big bagful!




What a waste if I do not use them.  I had initially contemplated making apple scrap vinegar, but I did not have enough peels (which has since changed as I found another load of apples)  They are therefore going to be cooked down in a pan and left to simmer, strain overnight in a jelly bag and then any juice measured.  Add an equal amount of sugar to juice and then stir, until all the sugar has dissolved.  I then intend to decant it into some sterilised Hex bottles and water bath process from boil for 15 minutes in my baby steriliser, which should make it shelf-stable.  These are in a jelly net overnight and will be finished off tomorrow.


My Bread that I bought specifically for making crumbs, Croutons and Bread sauce has also found its way into the Dehydrator, which is still working it's magic.  More of that though later in the week once it is finished.

Day 2 - Challenge

Dealing with some of these Lemons  managed to obtain from the Veg shop today £1 a bowl and I cam away with three bowls.  That should keep me out of mischief, or get me into it one way or another.



Catch up tomorrow.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts