Plans went out the window



I had plans today to seriously get stuck in with preserving in the kitchen however it just did not happen.  I was a little unwell last night which did not help (am okay just something that happens occasionally) and then OH, decided that we were going to the Butchers to stock up on meat for meals during the coming week.  However, before that happened, we went for a walk with her Ladyship.

The weather has been very blowy and wet here today.  It was well blustery when we went out, however we walked her in the countryside and fortunately were protected by an ancient hedgerow where the wind hardly got to us. Just in on a walk I happened in upon a stately Oak tree, quite an old one which had shed a lot of its Acorns and quite a few sprigs of beautifully coloured leaves.  A sign that it is truly autumn, the colours were indeed glorious.  I was able therefore to bring a lot of single Acorns, Acorns and cups and also just cups back home.  All are going to be used in some dresser decorating this month.  I have been looking for the Acorns for a little while.    The colours are just fantastic. They will go beautifully with all my other foraged items for decorating.  I still have some more to get such as wild Poppy seed heads and also Teasels.  Weather permitting, I will be going out on another forage, probably on Friday to see what else is available in the wild larder.





It was lovely to get out in the fresh air.  It was indeed blustery and wild, but very exhilarating which makes you feel so alive (or it does me).  It was good to be out and about and amongst nature in the fresh air and enjoying the moment.

When we go out and about, we try and sort out several projects.  We did not just go out to walk the dog, we also planned on going to the Butcher just to top up for some meals this week.  

Have come back with a very robust and hefty chicken, which should get a good few, meals out of it plus stock which will be made in the Ninja Foodi. More stews and soups will therefore be on the cards, but homemade stock makes it more flavourful.

Some mince for a Lasagna or a Cottage Pie both of which are firm favourites here. Although I do fancy a mild chilli.  That may be for another time.

Chipolatas for breakfasts for OH but also for use in another Toad in the Hole.  I am going to coil the Chipolatas in the roasting pan and then add the batter.

Bacon for breakfasts and also for Bacon Sarnies, and for use within a Quiche or Flan.

The Farm shop where we go is local to us and they have recently started selling a little fish (frozen not fresh but incredibly good quality and tasty).  I have recently spoken about the Torpedo Prawns in a Tempura batter which we have been purchasing.  They have added some other items to the list, and they also sell Scampi, Scallops, Giant Prawns, standard Prawns and Whitebait.  OH, is partial to Whitebait I am not although I do like a lot of other fish, so the Whitebait is his treat to himself.  He had requested that he have this for tea tonight, after telling me that would have the remains of the stew.  The word "stew" stuck in my mind and so we had the rest of the "stew" from yesterday for tea tonight.  It has been very warming as usual.  



It therefore looks as if it will be fish for tomorrow night's tea.  I am a big believer in having fish of some sort during the week, whether that be fresh, frozen or tinned. They all play their part.  I am very fond of Salmon fish cakes (homemade) but OH is not a fan of Salmon, especially not tinned; I just love them as Mum used to make them when we were at home.  They make very good eating for next to nothing.  I am always careful where I get my tinned Salmon from especially price, and I try and get as much as I can for my money.

Scampi that is what I will be having tomorrow evening whilst he has his Whitebait.

Tartare Sauce to go with the Whitebait and the Scampi. Might also do homemade chips to accompany.

Onion Relish I use this in my homemade Sausage rolls. They do not always have it in, and I therefore nabbed a jar whilst I could.  I particularly like this relish and thus far have not been able to find a recipe that is even close to this particular one.

Lincolnshire Honey (solid set for toast).  I just love proper honey.  Ideal to have for breakfast on a cold morning.  Started off with a bowl of porridge and then finished off with hot buttery toast liberally spread with the honey.  Any Artisan honey is worth its weight in gold.  I keep the really good stuff for my toast.

Haslet: I only bought a little of this as I quite like it in a sarnie with tomato ketchup

Pork Pie: well, that has already gone we have eaten that between us yet again with the proverbial tomato ketchup (the well-known brand)!

As the Farm shop is only just up the road from where we live, we will probably pay another trip later in the week as there will still be items that I make regularly during the winter months for which I will need the ingredients.  I would rather go for rib-sticking food that keeps you warm from the inside out at this time of year.  Will need it especially if we get snow this winter.

Friday evening tea will probably be roasted Lamb steaks served with veggies.

Saturday evening will be a homemade steak pie with the meat being prepped in the Ninja Foodi.

Lots of good eating on the cards, for which I am very grateful.

I also paid a visit to the Veg shop in the middle of it chucking it down with rain.  They had covered up quite a lot of the produce against the rain and so I will therefore need to go back and pick up some other bits like sweet potatoes, swede, parsnip, celeriac, celery and some frozen peas etc. tomorrow.

I have however come away with a Squash, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Leeks, another bowl of Lemons, another two bowls of cherry tomatoes, two bowls of mini oranges (going to be peeled and left whole and then put into syrup for puddings during the winter months, but especially for Christmas) a melon and some bananas.

So, all in all, not a bad haul.  However, will need a new sack of potatoes at the end of the week and also a new tray of eggs.  I use a lot of eggs during the week.

Catch you later.

Pattypan

x




Comments

Popular Posts