Parsnip, Apple and Ginger Chutney

I first had a parsnip based chutney a few years ago on one of my forays on holiday down to Cornwall. We bought it from one of the Cider Farms and although disappointed with the cider we bought back we didn't open the chutney until Christmas.

What a delight and revelation that chutney was, needless to say it was a mega jar and it got used up quickly. Under normal cicumstances I would have gone back and got some more but it has been sometime since we have been down to Cornwall and I have not therefore been able to restock.

I tend to buy unusual preserve recipes when I find them and put them up for Christmas and if I like them I look out for recipes that are similar so that I can do my own home cured version. It helps sort out what we actually like as well. Sometimes the recipes sound good on paper but when made don't necessarily have quite the flavour you want. Recipes with root vegetables such as parsnip and swede tend to be rarer but I have located this one which I think will be good as a chutney but also for adding into stew or casserole as well.

Ingredients:

750g/1 1/2lb parsnips peeled and chopped
500g/1lb cooking apples peeled cored and chopped
250g/8 oz onions peeled sliced and chopped
600ml/1 pint cider vinegar
500g/1lb soft brown sugar
2 tsp freshly grated root ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground allspice

Method

Put the parsnips apples and onions into a large saucepan/preserving pan with the vinegar and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the onions are tender approximately 30 minutes

Remove from theat and add the sugar stirring until all dissolved

Add the ginger cloves and allspice return to th eheat and simmer gently until the mixture is thick and pulpy (the mixture will only thicken slightly as it cools).

Pot the chuntney in warm sterilised jars sealing immediately with vinegar proof tops.

Label when cold.

You can vary the recipe by using different sugar combinations and/or vinegar combinations - especially if you run out or don't have quite enough of the chosen ingredient.

Comments

  1. Thanks for this, will try for sure...is it best to wait for first frost?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Alastair,

    In fairness I didn't wait for the frost at all as the parsnip does cook down quite a bit. This is a lovely chutney and is one I will make again. Nice with a home made ploughmans and home made pickled onions. I like Parsnip roasted in honey as well with roast dinners - especially with the Christmas roast. The onion and garlic relish/marmalade recipe is also very good.

    Thanks for popping by

    Kind regards

    Pattypan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try this for sure, thanks! I've been desperate for a recipe to preserve my massive crop of parsnips and this looks amazing.If you have any other ideas they would be gratefully received. I was thinking of making a parsnip and beetroot chutney as I have loads of beets to use up too.
    Thanks
    Jenny Law - St martins, Perth, Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenny welcome to my blog. There is a beetroot and apple chutney/relish which is quite nice if you want the recipe - let me know and will post up for you. Will have a look through some of my books to see if there is anything else too.

    Pattypan

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, that would be great.

    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi pattypan! your recipe came in great time, i dug up parsnipies too early and they went soft so ned to use them up! What do you mean by "vinegar proof tops"? i've never heard that term before. am making your recipe now! cheers from the north,laurie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Laurie welcome to my blog.

    If you use just metal lids with vinegar preserves or preserves preserved with vinegar the lids will corrode. Most new lids have a plastic lining which stops the corrosion of the lids. Years ago there was a polythene that you tied over the lids I think it was called porosan which helped keep the preserves safe from vinegar fly. The new lids that you get in stores such as Lakeland or the Jam Jar Shop or John Lewis all have this plastic coating on to stop the lid corroding. Hope this helps.

    Pattypan

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like an interesting recipe, I bought a whole tub of ginger bits in Morrisons, in error.
    I've still got about 300 'Monarch' cooking apples to use up in my quest to make interesting chutneys, I've done 12 recipes so far this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you post the beetroot and apply chutney?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here is the link to the Beetroot Chutney which I posted sometime back.

    http://tarragonnthyme.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/beetroot-chutney.html

    Pattypan xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have just made this but added some garlic it tastes great right now but I think it will be so much better when mature

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that little addition I will have to try as we love garlic here. I also like to mix the recipes up. I usually leave my chutneys for six weeks x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am making this as I write to you. When u say 'add cloves', what cloves' do u mean - garlic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ground cloves is a spice which in its whole form is a small dried bud which is very aromatic. this is what is used in this recipe, it is in its whole form used to stud a piece of ham/gammon which gives it a lovely flavour. Pattypan x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts