Thai Influenced Tea

I haven't had much to eat today with one thing or another so come tea time I was absolutely starving. However I didn't just want anything to eat I wanted something to fill me up and without giving me inbetween hunger gremlins in between meals. In the past few weeks I have bought a couple of foodie magazines which has been a real treat for me as they have become a bit of a luxury item so I don't get them very often these days.

I chanced upon one in particular which I am quite taken by called goodtoknow recipes which has a lovely practical array of recipes of different costings an it only costs £2.20 so double bargain and quite a nice selection of recipes to boot. I had read a recipe for a Thai Curry with Prawns and Broccoli, which I had made my mind up to try, but I had been accumulating some of the items to go in. The recipe serves four, prepartion time is 5 minutes and cookling time is 10 to 15 minutes.

The recipe as in the magazine is:

200g broccoli
225g Thai Fragrant Rice
400g tin reduced coconut milk
2 tablespoon of Thai Green Curry paste
1 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp granulated sugar
4 spring onions sliced
500g raw peeled tiger prawns (if using frozen defrost before using)
220g can sliced bamboo shoots drained
Zest and juice of 1 lime
3 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves

Instructions
Prepare the broccoli by trimming off a little off the stem of each spear.
Place your rice in a sieve and wash through with cold water to get rid of some of the starch then cook in boiling water for 10 minutes until tender.
While the rice cooks place the coconut milk curry paste fish sauce and sugar in a large pan or wok. Slowly bring to the boil then add the broccoli reduce the heart and cover and simmer for about 3 or 4 minutes until just tender.

Stir in the chopped spring onions prawns and bamboo shoots and stir well. Then bring the mixture back to the boil and simmer for two minute, stirring occasionally until uncooked prawns have turned pink and the defrosted ones are just cooked. Stir in the lime zest, juice and coriander.

Drain the rice in a sieve and divide between 4 bowls, top with the prawn curry and serve.

Well you see I didn't have all the ingredients so I sort of did a compromise and used some bits that I did have in the fridge.

Firstly the items I didn't have:
fish sauce
bamboo shoots
lime
Coriander leaves

What I did have though was add the following:
few oyster mushrooms
Pak Choi
Thai Jasmin Rice
Schwarz Ginger, coconut and lemon grass paste
And I just added these - I kept tasting the spiced milk as I went along until it was to my liking.

I think you can cater this recipe to whatever you have lurking in the fridge.Anyway it was completely yummy and I am now extremely full. Just fresh food with frozen prawns) and no nasties.


Comments

  1. You are very adventurous with your cooking, I would never try somthing like this. It does look very good.
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really tastes good I was quite pleased with the results. I tend to do the same with chinese inspired meals as well using whatever I have to hand - it helps up use bits that would possibly go over and then end up getting chucked and I am on a mission at the moment trying to waste as little as possible.

    Take care

    Tricia

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts