1 oz root ginger
1oz cream of tartar
8 pints of boiling water
1oz fresh yeast or 1/2 oz dried yeast
- Put the ginger into a piece of clean cloth and hit it with a hammer or heavy weight until the ginger is bruised.
- Put in a bowl and add the sugar and cream of tartar.
- Grate the lemon rind and squeeze out the juice and add to the bowl
- Pour in the boiling water, stir well and leave until cold.
- Mix the yeast with 5 tablespoons luke-warm water and add to the bowl.
- Cover and leave overnight. Strain through a muslin cloth and bottle in strong screw-topped bottles (e.g. those used for cider or beer). Leave for 48 hours before using.