We always have shortbread at Christmas. It is one of those things we just automatically make. Christmas just is not Christmas without shortbread.
6oz plain flour
2oz caster sugar
4oz butter preferably unsalted but comes up quite well with salted
sugar to decorate
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 3/160 degrees C.325 degrees F.
- Lightly flour a mould and line a baking sheet with baking parchment, or grease a baking tin
- Sift cornflour and sugar into a mixing bowl
- cut the butter into pieces and rub into the flour mixture until dough like.
- If using a mould place some dough into the mould and press to fit. Invert the mould onto the baking sheet and tap firmly to release the dough shape. Repeat with the rest of the dough. Or press dough into baking tin and shape to tin with your fingers smoothing the top and then pricking with a fork all over.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until shortbread is pale golden in colour.
- sprinkle the top f the shortbread with a little sugar and cool on baking sheet or in tin.
- Wrap in cellophane or pack in a box tied with ribbon.
- If made for a general house bake store in a air tight container or cake tin.