Syrup Sponge Pudding

Well I made this from scratch - this is what I call real comfort food.

Plain Sponge Pudding

4oz butter or margarine
4oz sugar
2 eggs beaten
A few drops of vanilla essence
6 oz self raising flour
a little milk to mix

Half fill a steamer or a large saucepan with water and put it on to boil.

Meanwhile, grease a 1 1/2 pint pudding basin.

Then cream together the butter and sugar until very pale and very light.  Add in the beaten eggs with the essence and about a tablespoon of the flour beating well after each addition.  Then fold in the rest of the flour  with a little milk once the eggs are incorporated until a dropping consistency is achieved.

Put 2 tablespoons of golden syrup in the bottom of the greased pudding bowl before adding the mixture.

Cover with greased greaseproof paper or foil incorporating a pleat into the greaseproof or the foil as this will allow the pudding to expand.  Put in steamer and put on lid.  Cook for about 1 1/2 hours.

Serve with Syrup Sauce:

4-5 tablespoons golden syrup
3 tablespoons of water
juice of half a lemon

Warm the syrup  and the water in a saucepan and stir well.  Simmer for 2-3 minutes then add the lemon juice.

Serve with the Syrup Pudding

AND

Home made custard

Heres how in pictures:

The made up mixture


Putting the syrup into the greased pudding bowl


Then the made up sponge mixture

 Putting a pleat in the greaseproof


The strung pudding with its lid
Placed ready for cooking in the steamer


The cooked pudding after removal of the greaseproof


The cooked Syrup Sponge after being released from the bowl

And after dribbling some of the extra syrup sauce over it


And served up ready to eat


It was absolutely delicious.

Confort food fix served for while

Catch you soon

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. That looks so good! I used to make a lot of sponge and suet puddings when my children were at home but these days they have too much effect on my waistline:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just fancied a proper treacle pudding as its a long while since we have had one. Mum used to make a lot when I was little and this one was always my favourite. Oh got his stew and I got my pudding. It was delish. My wasteline gave up years ago!

    Take care

    Pattypan

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmm, this is just perfect for this horrid cold weather we're having, thankyou for sharing,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laurie

    Welcome to my blog. The pudding was delish and together with the stew it has certainly warmed us up.

    Take care

    Pattypan

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stew, pud - comfort food at it's very best! Despite being in the middle of Summer here my tummy rumbled reading your posts :]

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, my waistline gave up years ago too Tricia :)

    Looks delish!

    *H*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pudding and custard looks yummy.
    On Tuesday this past week two of my friends, one orginally from Glasgow and the other from Cornwall went to the theatre as we do once a month during the Winter. We were just talking about steamed puddings and the "Spotted Dick" puddings with Golden syrup, which our Mothers used to make.
    Comfort foods are not only for the tummy but also memories of those times gone by.
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a naughty, naughty girl teasing me like that ;o)
    Rose H
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kimmie

    I really enjoyed my meal last night and so did OH. Will get back to you soon honey on other matter.

    Take care

    x

    Kadeeae

    Snap but the food is good. Take care and hope your back is okay soon. Have you tried Pilates exercises which have helped me a lot? Take care

    PP

    Different foods, different places etc. all have memories of people who were special to us. Looks as though you are creating some heirlooms and special memories for those you love. Take care and look after yourself.

    x

    Rose

    Sorry to tease you Rose I wish you could have some I really do. Hope you are feeling much better now.

    Take care

    x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts