Linda as requested please find the recipe that I use. I hope you enjoy it.
The Recipe I use is an old Mrs Beeton's recipe from the Everyday cookery book and it has been known by several names including Eve's Pudding (the Apple being known as the forbidden fruit as eaten by Eve). Anyway it makes a lovely filling pudding to a meal.
Ingredients5oz of butter/margarine
3oz demerara sugar
1 level teaspoon of cinnamon (I have to leave this out as OH does not like cinnamon - I do)
1lb cooking apples (I have Bramleys but any decent cooking apple or a mixture of sweet and cooking apples can be used)
8oz self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
Milk to mix
- Grease a 2 pint pie dish. Melt 1 oz of the butter, demerara sugar and cinnamon in a saucepan and add the peeled, cored, slice apples and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Cream together the remainder of the butter and 4 oz of sugar and beat in the egg. Add a few drops of vanilla essence. Stir in the sifted flour and salt and mix to a dropping consistency with the milk.
- Put the apple mixture into the bottom of the pie dish and spread the pudding mixture on top.
- Bake until firm and set about 45-50 minutes first in a moderate oven at 350 degrees F /Gas Mark 4 and then reduce the heat after 1/2 an hour to warm 335 degrees F/Gas Mark 3.
- Serve with fresh cream or home made custard.