Viatmin D

I have been for an appointment with the Nurse at the Doctor's surgery this afternoon.  I have been trying for the past six weeks to get but with various situations with other members of staff it has left us rather light on the people front so I chose to delay going,.  I know I should have gone earlier but it really was not possible.

I also had a review on the arthritis front.  Ostensibly I had gone for vitamin D medication which has been ordered by the Consultant at the hospital on a regular basis from now on in as my levels are particularly low.  Its something that seems to happen with people with immune system disease which shows up in the various different types of arthritis (I have osteo and rheumatoid) but also with long term immune disease like Raynauds, Scleroderma, Sjorgens syndrome Lupus antibodies,  etc. Sometimes the  Doctors forget to mention it.  I have an eight week course to take and then she has told me that I need to take an over the counter prescription vitamin D.  Especially in the winter months when we do not have such regular access to sunlight.  She indicated to me that she herself especially takes this during the winter months.  Apparently a great deal of the swelling on my joints and stiffness is to do with the lack of vitamin D, which I had not appreciated.  So if you have similar problems it might be worth a chat with the GP just to make sure that you don't need it more than anything else.

Thought I would share.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


P.S.  I have also lost a bit more weight.  Which I am pleased about.


PP

x

Comments

  1. I had to have vitamin D therapy last year as my levels were just a third of the lower level of normal and I had a lot of very unpleasant and painful symptoms. My rheumatologist has prescribed Vitamin D and calcium for me.
    Well done on the weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scarlet I have been through a rough patch recently where I have been stiffening up with my feet and stumbling. I just thought it was a bad patch but according to the Nurse its down to the Vitamin D deficiency. So fingers crossed things will get better. I am fortunate compared to many in that I do have a high pain threshold but even so it still gets you down/ Some days are worse than others. You just take care. Pattypanxx

      Delete
  2. this is very interesting to note Tricia, thank you for sharing. in the winter months I am outside a lot but sometimes this is in the dark! So I may look into vit d myself. Office day work has a lot to answer to! Excellent news on the weight loss, well done! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy

      Its also supposed to be people who suffer from SAD. oh does and so I have suggested the same to him. When I go onto the over counter does of the vitamin D I think he will join me then which is about the beginning of October. We have a family history of vitamin D deficiency in any event - Mum had osteoporosis and before she passed she was on vitamin D injections, so I think reading between the lines from what the Doctors have said and what the Nurse has said I could well be on this for the future. I think it will depend on the bloods. However the Nurse did say we should all be on it especially in the winter when the light is not so good. Glad it helped.

      Pattypan

      x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts