Foraging

Missy first thing at the start of our walk.


I have been out today since before 9:00am walking Missy and foraging and I have literally just got in (3:00pm) i.e. 6 hours. My hands are bright purple from the blackberry and elderberries I have picked, I have had a lovely peaceful day just out watching the wildlife, collecting treasures and picking fruit i.e. blackberries, some rowan berries, elderberries and there were a couple of other things I was on the look out for as well which I may have to go back for.  It has been peaceful just me and Missy for the best part - she is completely cream crackered.  


I am covered in bramble thorns have been pricked several times but that is all par for the course when you go blackberry picking.


I went armed with one of my wicker baskets, with provisions a bottle of water for Missy ( I provided a little tray for her) and a soft drink for me.  I bought her some little tiny sausages but she turned her nose up at them.  It has been muggy but just lovely spending time in the peace and quiet carrying out one of my favourite pastimes.  I also took with me scissors, marigolds, zipper bags, carrier bags.  Needless to say I forgot my foraging stick which helps me hook higher branches down!

I will give quantities later on but I got quite a few blackberries and elderberries.   I also came back with a few sticks with lichen on which I have an idea for some Christmas decorations, some very tiny cones which I think are larch cones, and some big fir cones.  So a very productive day.


Some of the blackberries.


The bramble patches.



A while back the City Council commissioned some artwork for the area where we walk Missy which has largely been turned over to providing eco systems for some of the wildlife around Peterborough.  The first one that we came across consisted of three wooden seats with bees carved into them and some poetry. Unfortunately some sad soul decided to destroy them.  Of the three there is only one left now which is a great pity.  I came across this one today which I had not seen before.  I like this piece too.




Right I am off to get a cuppa my friend is oblivious but I will bring her a cup up for later on.  I think I have really worn her out this time which is an out and out novelty.

Right catch up soon.

Pattypan 

xx

Comments

Popular Posts