Bargain - Making the most of that which comes your way - Veggies

Later yesterday in the early evening I nipped round to the Co-Op as I just wanted a bag of mixed veg to put with the steak pie I bought from M & S.  I already had a tin of peas in the cupboard that needed using up, some fresh sprouting white broccoli and thought that with the mixed veg and peas and some mashed potato that this would make a substantial accompaniment to go with the steak pie for tea last night.  The potatoes came from the sack I bought last weekend.

Whilst there not only did I come upon a reduced bag of mixed veg in really good condition I also came across two swedes at 10pence each.  Both are a reasonable size and so they will get prepared later on today and mashed down with carrots to make swede and carrot crush.  They will then go in the freezer for use later on.  Once it is prepared it is easily cooked up and adds a lot of flavour to a hot winter meal even if it is the only veg with some mashed potato it goes down extremely well.

It is really worth taking the time to do this as during the week it takes forever whereas after defrosting it is just with warming up ready to go.

So some really good bargains all in the space of one day.

I know that realistically I will not be able to do this every day and that each item will have to be considered on its own merits and upon whether I have a use for it or not.  But so far not bad on the bargains.  Every little helps as the saying goes. Especially with vegetables being dearer and not necessarily so big as a result of the drought.  Dinner went down well last night in the end and we were both "stuffed".  

Sometimes during the week we have scrap meals as I sometimes refer to them, stuff that is quick to make but I never really like to go more than a couple of days without getting some veggies into us and a proper meal in situ.  OH seems to be better in mood when I cook proper meals and I am sure somewhere down the line that plays its part.  

Tonight it is home made Lasagna with home made sauce and then Panettone Bread and Butter pudding.  I also have some Some Cavalo Nero which I shall blanch and put into the layers in the Lasagna along with a rich tomato and garlic sauce and lots of strong cheddar.  Think that should keep him happy on the meal front today.  He is working overtime until mid-day so needs to have a good meal at some point.  He will have the leftover pie and veg with some gravy when he comes in.  

Right had better get a wriggle on.  

Catch you soon.  

Pattypan xxx

Comments

Popular Posts