Cherries, Cherry Jam and the Food Situation

I managed to get some reduced cherries during the week from the Veg shop.  I only looked at the reduction barrow as only had £2 on me.  Managed to score Two kilos of cherries for £2.  They are not at their best but not manky either so Cherry Jam, here we come.  It will be good for baking and Bakewell Tart, Black Forest stylee home made Gateau; and pastries as well as a cake filling with some fresh cream or buttercream. Every little helps as they say.  I am going to destone them before I start which will hold things up a bit, but this is personal preference on my half as my teeth are not brilliant and neither are OHs.

I have turned these Cherries into Crushed Cherry and Apple jam and have returned five jars for my efforts.

The recipe I used is below.  I crushed the cherries as I did not want massive chunks in the jam so opted to crushing them with a potato masher.



Ingredients:

I used 3-1/2lbs pitted cherries,

1/2lb of apples

4lb sugar

A sachet of Apple Pectin (which I added in as a precaution to ensure a good set). Cherries are notorioiusly low on pectin, and event though I had added the apple, it is not always guaranteed that a set will be achieved.

Few drops of Lemon juice

What I did:

Basically I prepared the cherries by pitting them which is a time consuming process.  



I also peeled and cored the apples and then chopped it into tiny little bits as I wanted the apple to disappear as much as it could.  Once the fruit was tender I then added the sugar and brought up to a rolling boil and sustained the temperature.  Testing every so often with the saucer method until set was achieved






Now they just need washing down and labelling and they can go onto the Pantry shelf.  Another small win.


Food Matters

Whilst at the veggie shop I played catch up with the owners. We were talking about the cost of food generally and she indicated that they were having problems getting hold of stuff as well and their stalls are not as full as they normally are.  My friend Tracy at Our Smallholding Adventure, mentioned about crops being left unpicked as they had no pickers to get the crop in and into the shops due to lack of pickers, many of who come seasonally but who are unable to come because of wars and other transport issues with fuel etc.  This is absolutely disgusting as it is wasting things unnecessarily.

There are enough problems with hunger in this world of ours without adding to it. Indeed there should not be any hunger in this world of ours it is not necessary. When the situation is dire like that why don't they invite the public in to help clear the fruits; give them some pay and perhaps some of the crop as well so that it does not cost them an arm and a leg, then get it into the shops.  Part of the problem solved rather than waste stuff. I know it is hard work, but food we all need that at the end of the day. It is appalling.  Perhaps I am too idealistic.  I do not believe in a perfect world,. but come on common sense has to prevail somewhere along the line.  Lets get rid of the red tape for this and that and get back to basics where food is concerned and make it more accessible to everyone, not just those with deep pockets.  We need to be able to feed ourselves, rather than depending on other countries providing this or that.  We need to start taking responsibility for our own actions.  

They also mentioned that in the Fens the Sugar beet has not developed properly due to lack of rain at the right time, so sugar is going to be affected as are potatoes for the same reason.  Apparently the tops are not too bad the roots just have not developed like they should have done.

I have not grown anything at all this year, due to being away on holiday and the fact that I did not have anyone to water up anything I did grow anyway. So unfortunately that has been left this year. As we have had the extremely hot temperatures a lot of stuff that was in the garden has died in any event.  If we are going to be exposed to these kind of weather conditions from now on in we have to be very aware that you can only grow what you grow weather and conditions permitting.  Further hot weather is expected in August.  Strategies need to be put in place for water storage, and also growing facilities.  Our climate is changing again and not for the better by the looks of it.

We, the Human race need to stop wasting so much stuff and get into "Waste Not, Want Not" mode.  Remember our blessings not all of us are lucky to have food security, but that can be changed little by little.

Deep sigh!

Catch you all later on.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I totally agree with you over the waste not, want not motto. True in every way. I think most people expect their food to be presented to them ready to use and the thought of actually PICKING it is unheard of! Sadly, many don't even realize fruit grows in this country. I have heard of people letting fruit from trees in their gardens rot on the ground, whilst they go and buy it wrapped in Tesco . . .

    I will get some more sugar in I think, to add to the couple of bags I have. (Ditto jam sugar).

    One of the most useful things I ever bought was a cherry pitter. It cost me an arm and a leg at the time as I bought it from a kitchen shop, but on-line they can be had for £3 or so.

    Your cherry and apple jam sounds divine. We have just eaten the last of the huge Morello type cherries I bought when out church-bothering last week. They were lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BB, I think we have been very lucky with the way we were brought up. We know where our food comes from and know how to grow it as well. So many people are disconnected as a result of having no hands on experience of cooking or food production. They expect to be waited on but we are all responsible for our own food security and survival at the end of the day. We are expedient to Governments and have to be proactive. Sugar is always useful on the pantry shelf. I used a Cook Works hand cherry pitter for the cherries. It was quick and simple and I soon shifted through them. With the other one I had it seemed to take forever and made far too much mess. With being away, I have missed the Elderflowers, cherries, cherry plums etc. So am trying to do a little bit here and there. Do not think it will be much, but it will be something. Food and water is important to us all at the end of the day; especially the water.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts