Everybitcountschallenge Day 14, 14 August 2022 Sourdough Starter, More Blackberries and Maintenance

I am well over this weather - far too hot and sticky for my liking.  I am waiting for it to rain.  Fingers crossed it does soon.  I think I would frighten the neighbours if I went out and started doing a rain dance!

Todays doings consist of the following:

Fermented Garlic and Honey

The lid on the garlic and honey ferment is being released burped every day and has been done today.  It smells wonderful.  I do love garlic.



This will have to be maintained daily like this until the first week of September when there are no bubbles showing.  Directions were for a month.

Sourdough Starter

I  have had a peek at the new Sourdough Starter and well something is happening with the Sourdough Starter there are lots of bubbles. Even though it is only in a bowl so far  Today I have to discard half and feed with another cup of water and another cup of flour.

Yesterday after mixing in the first feed on Day One

The Sourdough Starter which is now ready for feeding.



After feeding on Day Two after being fed.






Now all dealt with for today

.

Orange and Blackberry Wine

I have also stirred the Orange wine.

The Orange wine before stirring.



And after stirring.  The yeast is working and there is a gentle fizzing.



The Blackberry wine before stirring




And after stirring.



There is no yeast in this one yet.  That will happen on Wednesday night.


Lunchtime

Today I met a very good friend and we spent a lovely time putting the world to rights.  We are good sounding boards for each other.

  

Foraging

I then went off foraging and have come back with another load of Blackberries which are going to be bottled on their own. They are relatively huge and not a bad flavour at all. Hopefully I will be able to get back tomorrow for some more.  Weather permitting. There are absolutely no end of them this year. I have managed to nettle and briar myself so have had a good wash down with antiseptic. Why are there always nettles near Brambles!

I have come back with two big colander fulls again.  I think this puts up my total of Blackberries thus far for this season to about 14lb in weight.  These are such lovely Blackberries I am going to bottle these in syrup on their own.  They will be going into some of my larger jars though as I seem to have run out of the smaller ones. I am limited this year by how many jars I have.  We had a bad fire at the house last year caused by the neighbours and I lost no end of preserving jars, and equipment.  I am also without a freezer at the moment as well.  Hopefully by next year's season I will have sorted this all out.  Do miss the freezers.




I have also had a good look around to see what other wild offerings are available.  Not really much at the moment.  A little stuff but we really need some rain first for them to swell a bit.  I am grateful to have found the Blackberries. However there should be some foraging soon as long as we get that rain.

I was out foraging for about 2 hours all told, and despite taking water with me came home a little heated and with a red face.  Think the sun may have got me a bit even though I was not in direct sunlight.

Tomorrow if I manage to get out to forage I think an old pair of jeans will be in order.  I wore a skirt today because it was so hot.  Oh well.  Fingers crossed will get out tomorrow.  

I have also checked on how my Bay Leaves are drying.  They seem to be doing well and I keep turning them day by day.  I may put up another couple of baskets in the next few days, but all told these should take about 10 days to dry.  I am trying to save the Dehydrator for other items rather than herbs which will dry naturally in the house in any event.




So today has really been about preparation again, and also maintenance.  All highly necessary steps to get to the finalised product.

I am enjoying this.  It is slowing me down in many respects, although I am being more productive.  I am therefore also getting time to smell the Roses as well.  Living in the moment, enjoying what I have and feeling very blessed.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan (aka Tricia)

x

Comments

  1. A good year for Blackberries. I saw some HUGE ones on bushes near Whitney on Wye Sawmill yesterday, when we were sat at the traffic lights. I must go for a walk up the lane towards my horsey neighbour and see what's about along there (thunderstorms permitting today!)

    Everything looks to be developing nicely. Good air temperature to encourage the Sourdough starter right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning BB, very pleased with the Blackberries will try and get out later today. We have a fine mizzly rain at the moment hardly anything, but temperature still warm although not like it has been. Yes it is helping the Sourdough Starter and it is working. Its when it comes to turn it into a loaf and whether I will get a better job than last time. Will see what happens. I am not going to give in with the Sourdough as it will be better for OH. I hope you get out to pick a scuttle fullxx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts