The Brambles are starting to blacken

…. and the Elderberries are starting to set.  It feels as though we are a lot further along in the year than we should be.  OH spotted some wild blackberries whilst walking Missy last evening and nabbed one and stuck it in my mouth.  It was sour.  Needs a bit more sun on it yet.  When we walk Missy at the weekend I may well take a bowl with me and pick what I can as it will always make some lovely jam or Bramble Delly as my step-daughter used to refer to it which is a firm Winter favourite here. Its lovely on crumpets. I would also like some for the freezer to make apple and Blackberry pie which is one of my absolute favourites.  Well worth getting pricked in the fingers or thumb for and it always happens.

Equally the Elderberries are set and on some trees at least are starting to blacken.  They may well be ready by the weekend too.  Need to make some Elderberry Rob, some Pontack Sauce, some Elderberry jelly (I use this in my home made Barbecue sauce) and it adds a lot of flavour. Elderberry syrup. I don't just use jam as it is I use Redcurrant jelly in gravies, the Elderberry jelly in Barbecue sauce, Rosemary Jelly and thyme jellies in sauces and gravies.  There is an awful lot more you can do with them.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

p.s. on our walk out with Missy this evening we found a larger patch of blackberries which were riper and surprisingly sweet.  OH picked me a handful from right high up.  We shall take a pot and look again tomorrow.

PP

x

Comments

  1. They began ripening here a few weeks ago, and I have had the odd one when out and about but I saw some HUGE ones hanging over a wall in Llandovery yesterday and couldn't resist going along and picking them for stewed blackberry and apple. The season has begun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts